Annealing Question

SimpleMind949

I just annealed 200 pieces of once fired Nosler brass and found these two cases with a different color than all the rest. Se the two pieces in the center of the picture with bronze coloring at the neck. I used the same standard Coleman propane bottle for the entire batch. Is this anything I should be worried about? Any ideas what might of happened?

Thank you!

Attachments

• Nosler Brass.jpg
    Nosler Brass.jpg
    484.3 KB · Views: 318
It could be some sort of contaminant on the brass like oil.
A pink hue on brass normally indicates the brass got hot enough that some gas was released due to cooking off, but this brass doesn't show any other indications of being 'burned'.
Do you do the springback test with set pliers to see how much annealing you're doing?

I wouldn't worry about it, to be honest.

Cheers.
:)

It could be some sort of contaminant on the brass like oil.
A pink hue on brass normally indicates the brass got hot enough that some gas was released due to cooking off, but this brass doesn't show any other indications of being 'burned'.
Do you do the springback test with set pliers to see how much annealing you're doing?

I wouldn't worry about it, to be honest.

Cheers.
:)
I am not exactly sure how to do that. Do you have any suggestions on where to find information about this process?

looking at the whole batch - seems to be a little hotter than im used to ( but could just be your camera bringing out the color better )

id bet those 2 in particular are going to measure slightly thinner at the case mouth (neck wall thickness ), if they all went through the flame at the same duration

when i set mine up , i consider that a miss on where i pointed the flame. maybe try to point the flame a 1/16 lower or angle it more towards the body (if you can)

either way , i would drill the bottoms on those 2 cases and use them for prep/test cases next time you anneal this batch

Last edited:
there is more material in the shoulder body area than there is in the neck area , knowing the heat will transfer to the neck mouth area , try to focus on getting your heat to start at the shoulder then set time so that it drops out just before the necks show heat like in your first picture

i use they same pencil tip type torch as you , maybe using a wider tipped flame it would not focus so much heat on a smaller pinpointed area/band of the brass , i almost want to try and flare the nozzle a little too see if it opens it up , but wanted to make sure i have a replacement if i screw it up

turning it up all the way and pulling it away seamed to spread it out -

by the way i think your annealer set up is probably one of the best flame designs, not over complicated

Last edited:
WhIle using my AMP annealer I have seen similar results and I believe there is mention of this on the AMP website. Some brass shows the normal annealing discoloration and some shows no signs at all even with the same make, calibre and AMP setting.

I honestly wouldn't worry about it, I've had odd discolouration at times without any problem

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.