Annealing Parameters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, much of this muddles back n forth n through FULL annealing, instead of what we actually do & need.
The chart at the bottom shows the temps that it takes to anneal cartridge brass (approximately 70/30 ratio). 750° does NOT anneal brass, unless you keep it that temp for waaay to long.
Anything over 500degF anneals, it just does not FULL anneal (immediately) there, or at 750deg either.
Immediate FULL annealing is NOT what I would ever want to do to my cases.

Can we please get back to my question of "what can I stick in the fire?"
You are looking for industrial type thermometer and even then you will have to "infer" actually temperature, because by the time the termometer reads the probe, or interprets the infrared beam, the actual temperature changed.

Last edited:
Again, much of this muddles back n forth n through FULL annealing, instead of what we actually do & need.

Anything over 500degF anneals, it just does not FULL anneal (immediately) there, or at 750deg either.
Immediate FULL annealing is NOT what I would ever want to do to my cases.
You're doing a full anneal in the sense you are accomplishing all three phases of annealing: recovery, recrystallization, and grain growth. Unless you use SBA. You are just not achieving dead soft.

Says the guy who believes a drill socket and torch is just as consistent with timing and flame placement as machines that time the case in the flame/induction field and place the case in the same spot each time... Humans aren't consistent with timing or placement like machines can be. For a history lesson research why early 1903 Springfields had inconsistent heat treatments.

Says the guy who believes a drill socket and torch is just as consistent with timing and flame placement as machines that time the case in the flame/induction field and place the case in the same spot each time... Humans aren't consistent with timing or placement like machines can be. For a history lesson research why early 1903 Springfields had inconsistent heat treatments.
That's right, I'm that guy, I'm that guy who is fortunate enough to have a job where I have all the test equipment available to me to test hardness ( HV or Rockwell) grain structuring, elasticity and about anything else you can think of, as I have said many times, the AMP annealer is a great machine ( Had one, sold it and bought a bunch of other cool stuff) and if you want one by Granny get you one. But I say this, flame, Salt bath or induction" YOU" wont be able to shoot the difference

That's right, I'm that guy, I'm that guy who is fortunate enough to have a job where I have all the test equipment available to me to test hardness ( HV or Rockwell) grain structuring, elasticity and about anything else you can think of, as I have said many times, the AMP annealer is a great machine ( Had one, sold it and bought a bunch of other cool stuff) and if you want one by Granny get you one. But I say this, flame, Salt bath or induction" YOU" wont be able to shoot the difference
I think you are a fraud, liar and stand on the shoulders of what you have learned from others. You have all this equipment "available" to you yet I haven't seen any HV tests from you nor any credible testing. Just words and videos where you have said "Oh I had that piece of good equipment, but I got rid of it".

Please come shoot a match at Pikes Peak Precision because I doubt you shoot at much as you claim.

If you want to make snide condescending remarks be my guest, but I am going to call you out. I have actually done the testing I've spoken about and have owned gear from the beginning cheap gear, decent, to the best.

1643066137264.png

I think you are a fraud, liar and stand on the shoulders of what you have learned from others. You have all this equipment "available" to you yet I haven't seen any HV tests from you nor any credible testing. Just words and videos where you have said "Oh I had that piece of good equipment, but I got rid of it".

Please come shoot a match at Pikes Peak Precision because I doubt you shoot at much as you claim.
That's bold for a fella that just joined, how many times have you been kicked off of here before ?

That's bold for a fella that just joined, how many times have you been kicked off of here before ?
Never. I was brought here for that other long winded annealing post because I actually wrote a good portion of it, done a lot of research and testing in 70/30 brass metallurgy. I'm not the one who made condescending remarks.

From someone who actually has tested these things and shoots a lot it is easy to see you're lying about your experience. Post actual test data, reports from the HV tester along with the last date the machine was calibrated.

Never. I was brought here for that other long winded annealing post because I actually wrote a good portion of it, done a lot of research and testing in 70/30 brass metallurgy. I'm not the one who made condescending remarks.

From someone who actually has tested these things and shoots a lot it is easy to see you're lying about your experience. Post actual test data, reports from the HV tester along with the last date the machine was calibrated.
I'm not going through this with you again neighbor it's been beat to death already, its clear you have an agenda, Have a good evening

If you want to make snide condescending remarks be my guest, but I am going to call you out. I have actually done the testing I've spoken about and have owned gear from the beginning cheap gear, decent, to the best.

View attachment 334149
So I take it you perform an x-ray diffraction Analysis on each case at several positions in the neck and then dial the perfect temperature for the perfect annealing. And then Test to make sure and adjust, repeat!
I just load and shoot thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.