Annealing bullets

Can someone explain to me why you would anneal bullets and what affect it has on the terminal ballistics of the round.
Expansion of bullet at long range distances- While annealing some will keep shaft submerged in water when the core is lead. Some will grind down or cut meplat for the same affect. Life is too short for that process-lol. Heck I think life is to short to bother with neck turning and just buy quality brass.

I can tell you exactly what happens when you try. The lead inside the bullet melts but you can't tell and then it squirts out all sudden like, lands on your arm and gives you a 3rd degree burn you won't soon forget. I wasn't annealing bullets, I was being 9 and stupid with a torch.

I used a ceramic block that I also used for bonding bullets and had no issues. I just left about 1/8" of tip sticking out and directed the flame crossways long enough to change color.

I did the same as Rich. Annealed some 6.5 cal 160 gr Matrix. Never shot any game though. My 6.5 Sherman likes the 142 and 150 Matrix better. Seemed to work ok. Believe I got the idea from rich on this forum.

Not a difficult process at all. I prefer to use a pan of water filled up to the height of the lead core with the bullets placed in a loading tray so I can anneal 50 at a time quickly. I've used this process with the 230 berger tactical since it came out. Expands very reliably with devastating effect. I have used it from 40 yards out to 720 yards from my favorite 30/06 for white tail deer and feral hogs.
Also works great for the 185 juggernaut as well. So far, I've used it for four hogs and a couple of deer from my 308.
I wouldn't hesitate use either annealed bullet to pursue any appropriate game animal.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.