Annealing brass

jalinkly

Can someone explain the process of annealing brass and the benefits over factory or un-annealed cases? Thanks.

As you hammer, bend, size brass, it work hardens and become brittle.

When it becomes brittle, neck tension is uneven and/or inadequate and cases can/will split.

Heating the neck and shoulder makes it soft and pliable which again makes it possible to size with even neck tension and fire safely.

The case head must remain hard to stand up to pressures. So, you never want to anneal the case head/web.

It's doubtful that the average guy can improve the properties of factory brass until it's been work hardened through multiple firings/resizing.

-- richard

As for the process, this is how I do it.

with a tub of water i use a propane torch, and holding the cases by the head (yes with bare fingers) I rotate the cases in the flame with the case mouth at or near the center of the flame until the case becomes uncomfortable to hold. I then drop it in the water.

Why bare fingers? because your not going to hold onto that hot assed case long enough to anneal the case head, the water bucket prevents heat migration.

This isn't a perfect method but it does the trick good enough.

The guy who taught me how to reload regularly annealed cases which had become brittle over time/several reloadings to get the neck "workable" again.

The process he used was pretty simple: 1) stand the cases up in a plastic/Tupperware container and fill it until the water was about half-way between the bottom and the shoulder. 2) Then he'd take a simple propane torch and ensuring he was getting all around the case necks, he'd heat them until the whole neck was orange. 3) Finally, he'd simply tip the case over into the water to cool it down.

The process was a very simple and seemingly effective. He'd been handloading for many years (he had a sort of handloading business) and really knew what he was doing.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.