annealing brass

backstrape

Hello everyone.i was wanting to start annealing my brass. Was wondering what would be the best annealing machine to purchase?
Thanks Dan

I love my Benchsource, works great and is quite fast. I just let the brass drop into the blue box Lapua brass comes in. its very easy to set-up and gives great consistent results.

If you have a variable speed drill and a socket chuck that you can attach a deep well socket to along with a butane torch, you're pretty much set! You can pay the money for an actual annealing machine, but this method works well for me and many others who showed me how to do it.

You will want a socket that is deep enough for your case to set into and have an area about 1/4" to 3/8" below the case neck/body junction exposed (pending on the case length), have your drill set to turn roughly 70 to 100 rpm's, using the butane torch heat the case neck/body junction just enough to see a color change . . .DO NOT MAKE IT GLOW! ! ! On 6.5 Swede, .308 Win and 7mm Mag brass I will usually give it a 12 to 15 count and then splash it in water. You will just have to experiment with it to get the flame distance and hold count to your liking.

If you have a variable speed drill and a socket chuck that you can attach a deep well socket to along with a butane torch, you're pretty much set! You can pay the money for an actual annealing machine, but this method works well for me and many others who showed me how to do it.

You will want a socket that is deep enough for your case to set into and have an area about 1/4" to 3/8" below the case neck/body junction exposed (pending on the case length), have your drill set to turn roughly 70 to 100 rpm's, using the butane torch heat the case neck/body junction just enough to see a color change . . .DO NOT MAKE IT GLOW! ! ! On 6.5 Swede, .308 Win and 7mm Mag brass I will usually give it a 12 to 15 count and then splash it in water. You will just have to experiment with it to get the flame distance and hold count to your liking.
I use this method, with some 750 Tempilaq. I just put a little on the inside of the case neck of 5-6 pieces to get a average count.

I have been looking at annealing stuff this last week. I think I have decided to get one of the Giraud Cartridge Case Annealers to make thing easy on my self. when it get time to anneal I have about 200 cases to do on 338lm, 300 7stw and 100 308s. I would much rather be able to set the machine and let it go and every thing will be identical. using a socket and counting just dosnt work well for me.

I love my Benchsource, works great and is quite fast. I just let the brass drop into the blue box Lapua brass comes in. its very easy to set-up and gives great consistent results.
+1

The owner is a great guy to work with as well. I place my cases on a heavy steel plate in a cold unheated cabin case head down to alleviate any heat from sinking down into the case head though as a precaution.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.