Annealing before or after sizing?

The problem is not the method used, it is how consistent the method Is. I have tried many different methods and the ones that were not consistent Is where I found the biggest difference in accuracy and Standard Deviations. Any method that relied on my senses of sight, color and time were normally the problem.

A machine has no reflexes or preference, It simply does what you tell/set it to do and then repeats the same parameters every time. I decided to build my own anneal'er to eliminate the human factor
And come up with something that could repeat the same procedure Every time.

I looked at as many designs as I could then looked at the cost to buy one and decided to try to build one my self with spare parts I already had. The parts i didn't have were very cheep so I decided to build it and if it didn't measure up, I would just buy one that did all I wanted at a reasonable price.

I used the Anneal ease design and a wire feeder motor from a Mig machine that I had for the drive. Total cost was under $20.00. It works great and as soon as I figure how to post the video, I will. It has been a great improvement in consistency and I will never go back to hand annealing. PS: I never tried holding the cases by hand, so I can't comment on that Method. :cool:

J E CUSTOM

I copied the DIY annealer off of YouTube and use Tempilaq and cool the cases in a steel mixing bowl lined with a cool damp towel. Seems to work well and made it for around 100 bucks.
I saw one made with a plywood board, a cake pan and a microwave turntable. I've considered trying to craft my own at some point but just haven't been motivated enough yet

Well I never tried to hold the brass when annealing the brass. I de-prime them and place the cases in a pan of water standing up and use the torch to heat them up one at a time. Noching them over as I get the case heating done. I have just purchase two salt system, but haven't use it yet. Mainly because I gave them to my two boys to add to their reloading equipment.
SSS
Mike
Well, that's about the same way I've been doing it since I Methuselah gave me directions on annealing brass. Only different I do is have the pan of water sitting on top of a Lazy Susan that is automated by an old rotisserie motor, pulleys and a belt drive. Thanks again for your reply.

It isn't a standard practice but I HAVE annealed cases after sizing. I did this with 3 cases when I was confirming bullet seating depth. I measured the cases 6 ways from Sunday and couldn't find a difference. The results were identical to those annealed before sizing. As I said this isn't my SOP but I wanted to see what would happen. A more exhaustive study could show statistically measurable impacts but I wouldn't hesitate to do it again if it were expedient to do so. I don't shoot for money or trophies so there ya go. So many things that get discussed are treated like matters of life and death when really they aren't. Mostly the nut behind the trigger is the difference between success (as you care to define it) and failure than anything else.

I would love to see you grab a piece of brass with your bare hand from my AMP MKII after it has been PROPERLY ANNEALED.
It never fails to amaze me that folks having spent copious amounts of money on tech denigrate others successfully executing the same task without, and at some discomfort I add.
Chinese proverb...The man saying that a thing cannot be done should not interrupt the man doing it.

PS: I never tried holding the cases by hand, so I can't comment on that Method.

Best way to hold the piece of brass.....
Put it up high in the skin between thumb and index finger..🙄.....
the skin will not allow the flame to hit to low on the brass...gives you a beautiful edge to the annealing.....
😁.....

It never fails to amaze me that folks having spent copious amounts of money on tech denigrate others successfully executing the same task without, and at some discomfort I add.
Chinese proverb...The man saying that a thing cannot be done should not interrupt the man doing it.
Well I am comfortable with spending large amounts of money to know for sure that the job is done right and without injuring myself. I am not degrading anyone but I do not personally believe that you can get any kind of consistency from the human eye or by holding something with your hands and using a torch. But that's just my opinion take it or leave it makes no difference to me. It always amazes me how people that can't afford nice things always want to degrade people that can.

Well I am comfortable with spending large amounts of money to know for sure that the job is done right and without injuring myself. I am not degrading anyone but I do not personally believe that you can get any kind of consistency from the human eye or by holding something with your hands and using a torch. But that's just my opinion take it or leave it makes no difference to me. It always amazes me how people that can't afford nice things always want to degrade people that can.
It's as simple as time and temperature. If you have the b@lls to hang on the results are the same. Facts are a beach.

Another "twist" on different methods.
Having started years ago with "hand" methods and graduating to "drill & socket", have since upped my game...lol
Do a search for; ' Annealing question ' was in April of 2020 by Rilow. See post #21, my prototype annealer...my first and only attempt filming from my phone so excuse the quality.
Edit: Next post shows the clip.

Btw: hand holding works but 221 fireball cases heat up real quick...lol....i wouldn't recommend "short" cases...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.