Annealing before or after sizing?

Yes but he is holding the brass in his hand while annealing so if it was getting hot enough it would burn the crap out of him.
I'm not going to argue with you but I assure you that you can properly anneal brass holding it in your hand, you have to be paying attention but it can be done, as I said I did it for years

Deprime, clean, anneal, resize and chamfer neck, reprime add powder and seat bullet. Fire, repeat above. Works for me.

Why resize then anneal? You are changing the hardness after annealing and gives you more consistent neck tension.

What's that supposed to mean ? I'm curious
It means that if you hold a piece of brass with your bare hands not using a glove or a socket and put a torch to said piece of brass and it doesn't burn your fingers then you did not anneal your brass because it was not hot enough.

It means that if you hold a piece of brass with your bare hands not using a glove or a socket and put a torch to said piece of brass and it doesn't burn your fingers then you did not anneal your brass because it was not hot enough.
That's your opinion and you are entitled to it but you are incorrect, It can be done, lots of folks do it this way and as I said I did it for years, you have to be paying attention but the heat will not travel to the cartridge head in 7 seconds, 8-9 yes but not at seven, to tell a man he is wasting his time when you have never done this yourself is what has been the demise of this forum for the last few years, once again no disrespect intended but certainly can be done and done correctly holding it your hand with a torch, that will be my last word on the subject

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it but you are incorrect, It can be done, lots of folks do it this way and as I said I did it for years, you have to be paying attention but the heat will not travel to the cartridge head in 7 seconds, 8-9 yes but not at seven, to tell a man he is wasting his time when you have never done this yourself is what has been the demise of this forum for the last few years, once again no disrespect intended but certainly can be done and done correctly holding it your hand with a torch, that will be my last word on the subject
🤦‍♂️

Totally agree, unless you have asbestos fingers :oops:

If its a long case like a 50cal maybe, but then again it has to be heated longet because of the case thickness.

I currently anneal by hand with a torch (I know) and I was just curious if it truly makes a difference to anneal before or after sizing. I anneal every firing because I'm sure I'm not annealing quite enough as I am holding the brass in my fingers. But my last round of annealing the brass was a very purty pink color. From what I could find, it sounds like residual sizing lube caused the pink hue. So I was thinking about annealing before I resize. Any pros or cons to either?

There are so many different ways to anneal to get the desired results they are to many to list. The main objective is to get all of the cases the same hardness so bullet seating will be consistent. Annealing before sizing at least assures that the as loaded case will be more consistent in the sizing and hardness after sizing.

The more consistent the process, the more consistent the anneal. My preference is to totally prep the case while new and anneal. Then the first firing will be more consistent and subsequent firings will also be consistent with each other.

I also prefer to anneal every 2 or 3 firings before the case has a chance to work harden. Some like to anneal every time, and this may be a good practice if loading very hard or full sizing every time.

Annealing while holding the case may not be the most consistent method, so I would recommend buying or building a annealing machine and adjusting the amount of annealing you prefer for more consistent annealing.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

To those who asked, I burn the 💩 out of my fingers when I anneal by hand. It's not pleasant but you do what you can with what you got. I anneal for 338 RUM, which isn't as bad, and 7mm, which burns a lot. Like I originally stated, I know I'm probably not getting quite to where I need it to be. However, my 338 has an ES of 6 and the 7mm has an ES of 17. The 7mm will improve with the new, properly sized expander ball but I am seeing zero negative effects with the way I've been doing it. But I will try annealing before resizing and see how it goes. I always de-prime, tumble, FL size with a .002" shoulder bump, re-tumble, anneal, trim, debur and chamfer, then load

To those who asked, I burn the 💩 out of my fingers when I anneal by hand. It's not pleasant but you do what you can with what you got. I anneal for 338 RUM, which isn't as bad, and 7mm, which burns a lot. Like I originally stated, I know I'm probably not getting quite to where I need it to be. However, my 338 has an ES of 6 and the 7mm has an ES of 17. The 7mm will improve with the new, properly sized expander ball but I am seeing zero negative effects with the way I've been doing it. But I will try annealing before resizing and see how it goes. I always de-prime, tumble, FL size with a .002" shoulder bump, re-tumble, anneal, trim, debur and chamfer, then load
Do more with less Brother. your not doing anything wrong, as JE stated constancy is the winner here, any annealing is better than no annealing, Keep on Trucking Bud

Do more with less Brother. your not doing anything wrong, as JE stated constancy is the winner here, any annealing is better than no annealing, Keep on Trucking Bud
Well when you gotta **** it feels good even if your ****ing in the wind and getting it all over yourself I guess. But hey I'm just degrading this website by telling you that you would get better results doing it the right way so I will quit trying to help. Go ahead and listen to this guy and and keep on spinning your wheels and wasting time.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.