Anneal After Fire-forming AI or Wildcat?

When fire forming new brass do you use a light load and fire twice or a standard load and really stretch it? Rod

You will save some throat wear if you fire form using inert material. For fire forming 224 Vais cases from 6.5X55 Lapua brass ( and for 22-243 Middlested) I use cheap WW large rifle primers, followed by twelve (12) grains of Hodgdon "Clays" powder. Then pour cream of wheat (dry) on top of the powder to top of shoulder/neck junction. With my index finger firmly on the case mouth, gently place case head onto boltface with muzzle pointed straight up. Gently close the bolt and fire away. Quick and easy. The cases are then ready for full loads. One other step I do prior to shooting the inert material, is up size necks back to 6mm then reduce necks using a redding bushing die till the bolt will close with a "crush fit" for a perfect head spacing. I shoot no more than 10 at a time, then let the barrel cool down, because it will get hot, along with cleaning out the throat area with a bore mop and brake cleaner.

Thanks for the big tip on this! After reading you reply it really makes good sense. Is the Cream of Wheat the best you have used or just use what I have at home, chalk, baking soda or something in that? Rod

I've fireformed hundreds of AI rounds and only ever lost 1 case to a split. The body shoulder stretch is a one time thing and it can wait to be annealed until the neck requires it. Did it this way on 20VT, 243AI, 250AI, 257AI, 7x57AI, and 280AI. Yeah, I know, I got an AI thing going on and cant stop. I dont like to anneal too far down the case. Softens the brass and invites too much stretching. Just my opinion.

I've fireformed hundreds of AI rounds and only ever lost 1 case to a split. The body shoulder stretch is a one time thing and it can wait to be annealed until the neck requires it. Did it this way on 20VT, 243AI, 250AI, 257AI, 7x57AI, and 280AI. Yeah, I know, I got an AI thing going on and cant stop. I dont like to anneal too far down the case. Softens the brass and invites too much stretching. Just my opinion.
Do

Do you anneal before or after FF?

On new brass I would anneal after and with used brass I anneal before. Getting ready to form some 250AI from 25 Creedmoor soon and I wont anneal at all since the change is so minor. Waiting on the brass to arrive

I've probably fire formed easily 10k+ improved cases...223ai-6Dasher-6BRA-243ai-260ai-284Shehane....always annealed before and every firing there after....The only cases I have lost were Dasher cases that already had a fold/crease in the shoulder area before ff.

On new brass I would anneal after and with used brass I anneal before. Getting ready to form some 250AI from 25 Creedmoor soon and I wont anneal at all since the change is so minor. Waiting on the brass to arrive
I came across 73 good .220 Swift used brass needs fire formed for the AI that can be used and have no idea on its history. Would it be to my advantage to anneal or just shoot until they are trash and get new? PS They didn't cost me anything.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.