Ankle weights

Litehiker

Ive been training indoors on an angled treadmill in the torrid Las Vegas summer with a 30 lb. pack and 8 lbs. on each ankle plus backpacking boots. Hopefully this gets me ready for fall backpacking and winter backcountry skiing. Yeah, no hunting tag this year. It will be a coyote-only year. :eek:(
Eric B.

Ive been training indoors on an angled treadmill in the torrid Las Vegas summer with a 30 lb. pack and 8 lbs. on each ankle plus backpacking boots. Hopefully this gets me ready for fall backpacking and winter backcountry skiing. Yeah, no hunting tag this year. It will be a coyote-only year. :eek:(
Eric B.
I've wondered about the ankle weight thing. Do any hardcore alpinists , mountaineers train with them? If not, why not? Are the benefits there or not. How is it treating you? I've been meaning to buy The New Alpinism training book. Supposed to be great info but maybe dry reading.
Hiking with a pack can't be beat for sure. Can supplement it with strength training and higher intensify work for sure , but there is no replacement for hours at low to moderate intensify levels.
Nice work! I have a montana sheep tag I trained a lot for even tho it's not real intense country. It just feels great to not be huffing n puffing for every little thing.

Montucky,
The ankle weights are for treadmill workouts here in the blistering 'Vegas summer. But I'm going to try them on trail hikes on alternate days, one day with weights, one day without. This week it's finally cool enough to trail hike.

My backcountry skis with plastic boots and climbing skins area bit heavy and that's why the ankle weights. I'm a geezer and need all the training I can get.

Eric B.

Eric B.
Sorry to hear that you couldn't get a hunting tag. I have no idea how that works out there.

Eric B.

Eric,

Sorry for your no draw status. I did not draw special permits this year but I still have general elk, deer, bear, wolf, and mountain lion.

I have done the ankle weights a few years ago but it is very uncomfortable, not sure if they have improved. Instead, I used my cold weather hunting boots with backpacks. I got some strange looks at the gym at first but I did not care. Now, some hunters do the same.

I also want to commend you for your continued commitment to physical fitness at your age. I hope I can do the same. You are an inspiration for us to follow. Keep up the excellent work, be safe, and God bless.

Ed

FEENIX,
Thanks for your encouragement. Earlier in my life I trained for competition; XC ski racing in the winter and bicycle racing in the summer. After that I trained to be able to fully enjoy those sports as hobbies. Last year for example I skied at Mammoth Mountain with my daughter and her two boys. It was a great time both on and off the slopes.

So when I backpack hunt I realize I'm drawing on a life of training as well as summer jobs involving physical labor. Some were very demanding like being a professional trail builder on a 9 mile section of the Pacific Crest Trail in 1980 when we were making that trail from scratch, following Forest Service surveying stakes.

"You either wear out or rust out."

Eric B.

FEENIX,
Thanks for your encouragement. Earlier in my life I trained for competition; XC ski racing in the winter and bicycle racing in the summer. After that I trained to be able to fully enjoy those sports as hobbies. Last year for example I skied at Mammoth Mountain with my daughter and her two boys. It was a great time both on and off the slopes.

So when I backpack hunt I realize I'm drawing on a life of training as well as summer jobs involving physical labor. Some were very demanding like being a professional trail builder on a 9 mile section of the Pacific Crest Trail in 1980 when we were making that trail from scratch, following Forest Service surveying stakes.

"You either wear out or rust out."

Eric B.

AWESOME!

Ankle weights with walking will stretch the Y ligament in the front of the hip. When you get pain, now you'll know why. They are no good for walking or running with.

I've used ankle wits for several years in my trading. I use the on the stair machine and during my tire drag training days. I keep them at 3lbs / ankle along with my training hiking boots. I think they help prepare me for my heavier mountain hunting boots. My problem is I can't find a set that last more than about 6-8 months before the weights have rubbed holes in the fabric. If anyone has found the 'ultimate ankle wits' please post a link

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.