Animal Targets at Range?

Muddyboots

So does anyone shoot actual size animal targets at range versus banging steel or paper? For example, cardboard replica of average size buck with no lines? Just curious as why not? I think it provides better simulation of real world hunting. Of course, lot of operational draw backs but the type of practice shooting at brown cardboard similar to deer was a lot of fun.

sometimes it is hard to keep from shooting actual animal-sizes targets at the range.....

IMG_0345.JPG

So does anyone shoot actual size animal targets at range versus banging steel or paper? For example, cardboard replica of average size buck with no lines? Just curious as why not? I think it provides better simulation of real world hunting. Of course, lot of operational draw backs but the type of practice shooting at brown cardboard similar to deer was a lot of fun.
Not much anymore. but years ago we used to setup "Carboard Buck. Bear, Moose" size targets through out the woods at different ranges.. The targets had the vital marked out for kill shots. Still have new target in the basement for use to teach young hunters.

Can you even find a truly life-sized deer or elk paper or cardboard target?
I find that most are 1/2 to 2/3 size at best.

I made some lope and elk ones a few years ago...the challenge is figuring out a way to mount those cardboard life-size cutouts--- especially if there is wind

It's nice to have a wooded area "Natural" - set up the deer, hog, bear, elk carboard targets before you take a hunter into the area. Then it is up to them to find, determine range and best shot.
A friend of mine is a metal shop teacher. He had his class, as a project, cut out a life sized whitetail buck from 3/8" steel. They also cut out a kill zone area 8" high and 16" long that encompassed the front shoulder to 5 or 6 inches behind the shoulder. A narrow horizontal plate was then welded along the back side bottom edge of the now-open area, and a flat base was then welded to another kill zone sized plate so it would sit nicely into place behind the main body. (This piece was of another type of tougher steel.) 2x4 brackets were also welded to the front and back, so the entire thing slips down over the 2x4's. (We were allowed to purchase the project for the cost of the material.) Our backyard range has properly placed 2x4's pounded into the ground at 200,300,400,and 500 yards. A properly placed shot knocks the kill zone plate off its ledge. A near miss bangs off the main body, but "usually" the plate stays in place. Anyway, it's great fun and practice, and a couple cans of spray paint keep it looking fresh. It is one heavy target and take two of use to move it from post to post, but after 4 or 5 years it's still there taking a pounding.

I would make 1/5 scale (guessing) cardboard deer silhouettes and shoot them at 100 yards. I would shoot offhand, sitting and maybe kneeling for hunting practice.

We have a long range steel silhouette shoot here once a month on near actual dimension targets. Our targets range from 270-700 yds shots are on squirrel ,standing rock chuck, crow, rabbit and coyote. It's a pretty good time.

No just paper for a long time and when I don't have steel. Steel I like smaller about deer kill zone. I still shoot paper a lot and steel after I have things dialed. Steel saves lots of time and still having a spotter or scope cam is very very helpful.