Animal Targets at Range?

We used to make cardboard life sized deer targets to practice with our muzzleloaders at distance when 1x scopes were max magnification here in Utah. Flatscreen tv and appliance boxes were the deal for thicker and bigger pieces of cardboard. I also felt is was good practice as it was similar color vs paper or steel targets.

Lol....great idea. Did you mean the free pallets made of oak and maple they used to throw away? Made some great furniture out of those. Since Covid all the free pallets are gone. Local place told me they now have a core charge so they sell them back.

So does anyone shoot actual size animal targets at range versus banging steel or paper? For example, cardboard replica of average size buck with no lines? Just curious as why not? I think it provides better simulation of real world hunting. Of course, lot of operational draw backs but the type of practice shooting at brown cardboard similar to deer was a lot of fun.
At American shooting range in Houston they have a "deer steel" at their 600 yard range. I'll paint it up each time I go down range. But other than that no.

I've seen some that were made of steel. They tend to appear in groups of five for some strange reason, and they always seem to be at known ranges.....

Last edited:
That would be really great. All you guys have incredible ideas. Nothing like that is allowed at the range I belong too. It is just 300 Yards max, so I use my 100 yard"Shoot and See" targets. At Bang Steel Shooting School, various size Metal targets, painted white each day. Round or Rectangle.

So does anyone shoot actual size animal targets at range versus banging steel or paper? For example, cardboard replica of average size buck with no lines? Just curious as why not? I think it provides better simulation of real world hunting. Of course, lot of operational draw backs but the type of practice shooting at brown cardboard similar to deer was a lot of fun.
some ranges have ar life size targets on range up here uses them for long range matches moose bull and cow with calf, wolf, sheep, and caribou it is fun get steel the size of your prays kill zone and use that at longer ranges then you hunt will make taking a lot easier.

When I shot black powder we used to have life size animal targets set up on our trail walk, they were painted to look realistic and the kill zone was marked on the back of the animal. This was great practice for newbees and old hands. This idea came from archery trail walks.

My response might be a little out of context to your inquiry and at the same time of a similar interest. The competition that has life size cut-outs from plate steel on feet. The weight of the forms and the feet are designed to not tip over unless they are hit with enough force for effectively(supposedly) kill the game in the real world.
Here is a link to the NRA-Silhouette-Rifle competition:
Also note that there is a scaled down version of the Rimfire class so one can use rimfires at shorter distances with smaller forms.
There is also a High Power Pistol class for magnum revolvers. They shoot Rams out to 300 yards.
I have not had the opportunity to participate, and it sounds like a lot of challenges and fun. Also note this sport offers more excitement to the Audience that is observing the match as to know what is happening, by seeing the forms knocked over. The forms have to be knocked over in order from left to right, and if not consecutively, then points are taken away. There is an allowed time frame.

Maybe closer to your inquiry, I always wanted to find life size pictures with the vitals ghosted in with varying shots, such as broadside, straight on, and quartering forward and away shot posters, which I have not found.
Best Regards

I'll let you carry the life size target into the field Muddy.....and I will sit back and provide cover fire

Our range in Washington State has a similar steel plate lifesize mule deer. The only difference is the kill zone has a 10" disk that is mounted with substantial chain so it flops back on a hit in the kill zone. The silhouette is set 500 yds from the bench at the firing line. It provides our members with some meaningful practice.

Do I use full size targets on a range. Yes on occasion when I am training a new hunter on how to place their rounds on deer size targets. It gives them something to actually look at and shoot at so they actually can see where their shot hit in relation to where it was supposed to hit. The old comment, " Just shoot behind the shoulder does not quite give the uninitiated a clear picture. Behind the shoulder? Which shoulder? Front or rear? How far behind the shoulder etc. You get the idea. Usually after a session looking at a deer size target at 100 yards usually results in 1 shot, 1 deer down with the bullet taking out the heart and lungs. Otherwise no, I shoot a paper and live animals during season.

I made some target frames the size of a deer from top of back to bottom of chest. put in a cross in the center being 2" wide. Use them for reference to size of animal. I use it for ranging with the scope I used at the time. No range finders at that time Anybody could build a frame and spray out the four large areas in black that creates the cross. Set up target frames to hold the targets Range them and shot to see how you are doing at different yardage. At the same time it will give you an idea as to how a animal would look at those ranges.

I have never seen anyone do this but I have done it. It is how I taught my kids to shoot so they know the kill zones on different game animals. I would put a skeletal target behind a replica target. Then after the shot pull the replica target away so they could see if they hit bone. Helped them slot with where to place the bullet.

Recent Posts