Angled scope mounts

TnTom

A shooting aquaintance is looking into doing some 800 yd - 1000yd shooting and has asked what mounts he should use. Someone suggested he use a 15moa mount. He's buying, at least for the moment a Bushnell 4200 6-24x-50mm Tactical scope. I don't know what to tell him. Any suggestions?? He also indicated that he would use the rifle in closer. Its a 700 Remington Varmiter in .308 26".

thanks tom

Last edited:
I put 20 m.o.a bases on all my rigs. Not sure if the 4200 you're talking about is the 1" main tube or a 30mm. If it is a 1" main tube...it might be some what limited in how much internal elevation adjustment is available. Probably not a good deal to be running the scope in either extremes.

I've not run into a problem zeroing my scopes at 100 yards with my 20 m.o.a bases. And I know I'll have plenty of room to dial in more elevation.

This is all my "Non-expert" experience....so take it for what it's worth.

Good Luck,

Wayne

Thanks Wayne,
It is a 30mm tube and my understanding is a 30mm tube will have more travel than a 1" tube. The scope according to Bushnells site has 50" adjustment Im guessing that means plus or minus 25" from center.

I found a ballistics chart on the Remington site that shows a .308 Remington Express has a vel. of 2620 fps at the muzzle and with a 200yd zero the drop is -49.9" at 500yds

Im interpreting that as meaning if the scope were zeroed at the bottom of the adjustment at 200yds and cranked to the opposite end of the travel it still woundn't be adequate for the 600yd shot holding on.

It would require an angled base to accomplish the task with any shot over 500 yds. A 20deg base should probably keep the scope off the extremes. Just thinking out loud.

Sounds like you have a good handle on the situation. I put the canted bases on everything...just because I don't want to be in that extreme adjustment zone for the scope. So far I haven't had any issues.

Good Luck,

Wayne

TnTom,

You've got it exactly right. From your descripton, it looks like your scope has a total range of adjustment of 50 MOA (1 Minute of Angle is almost exactly 1 inch at 100 yds.) This gives you 25 up, and 25 down. Theoretically you could use up to a 25 MOA base and still be able to zero it at close range, but I wouldn't use anything bigger than a 20. That 50 MOA may not be evenly distributed top and bottom. I've seen plenty of scopes where the middle of the turret's travel is off as much as 10 MOA from the optical center of the scope. Also, optical performance of most lenses fall off near the edges. On high quality scopes, it may be barely noticeable, while on lower quality glass it may be quite obvious. If you have a base that puts your scope right at the extremes of travel, you will be looking through the edges for most close range shooting.

- Cameron

I've ordered a 15moa (1/4 degree) Leupold mount that should build in 1.3ft elevation at a 100yds. and increase exponentially. It should keep the focal more off the edge of the lens. I hadn't realized that the nearer the edge of the glass sight quality diminishes. Thanks for pointing that out.

TnTom:

Not only the image might become funky....your adjustments might not be accurate at the extremes.

Hope you were able to view the custom turrets??? I think this might be a very viable option to you??

With the custom turrets.....and time to learn about m.o.a and mil-radian.....I think you'll progress into a fine long range shooter!

Take Care,

Wayne

I know how in depth the discussions regarding inch / moa can get and that moa is clearly (well maybe not clearly) more applicable but it sure is a hard habit to break. gun).

I was going to pursue something but I'll take it to a new thead.

Some eye opening points made in this thread and I sure appreciate your sharing.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.