Angle Cosine Indicators still needed?

RocketDog

Now that almost every rangefinder has angle compensation, are scope mounted indicators still needed? I'm going to order a level soon but not sure if I should spend the extra money and get an attached indicator as well. I have the vortex 1000 rangefinder but going to buy a leica 1600-B soon. Thanks

My Leica 1600 gives me the angle, but I don't even pay attention to it. I have never used angle indicators, don't see why I need to start now. Whenever I'm shooting at a steep angle uphill or downhill, I just aim a little lower.

But for those that do like the idea of angle compensation, I believe the rangefinder has eliminated the need for anything mounted on a scope. I haven't even needed one angle device in over 22 years of hunting, so I don't see the reason to have 2 devices ;)

Thanks, I figured there was no need for one attached to my scope. Figured I would see if anyone had any pros on having one along with a rangefinder.

You will get varied answers on angle finder on rifle. I use one as do many. It is more important if you hunt steep country as I do. I have one of the best LRF but has no angle feature, dont care because I wanted ranging features. You find guys on here shooting long say in New Zeland and if they dont comp for angle it will be a miss. There have been many threads on hear about it , do search in up right corner specific to this site. Heres a example- 1000 yrd range on 45 degree. If you dont figure angle that is a 7.1 mil hold for my rifle.But with angle it is a 4.5 mil hold. That is a large diffirence, and if I held for 7.1 which is 2.6 mil + thats almost 10 inches which equates to 100 at 1000. I figure angle in alll my firing solutions

You will get varied answers on angle finder on rifle. I use one as do many. It is more important if you hunt steep country as I do. I have one of the best LRF but has no angle feature, dont care because I wanted ranging features. You find guys on here shooting long say in New Zeland and if they dont comp for angle it will be a miss. There have been many threads on hear about it , do search in up right corner specific to this site. Heres a example- 1000 yrd range on 45 degree. If you dont figure angle that is a 7.1 mil hold for my rifle.But with angle it is a 4.5 mil hold. That is a large diffirence, and if I held for 7.1 which is 2.6 mil + thats almost 10 inches which equates to 100 at 1000. I figure angle in alll my firing solutions

He is NOT asking if he needs to compensate for angle. Of course he does. And I'm sure he knows that or he would not be concerned with any of this.

He is simply asking if he needs a SECOND cosine indicator on his scope when he plans on buying the Leica 1600 which already has it incorporated into the programming. I say no.

He is NOT asking if he needs to compensate for angle. Of course he does. And I'm sure he knows that or he would not be concerned with any of this.

He is simply asking if he needs a SECOND cosine indicator on his scope when he plans on buying the Leica 1600 which already has it incorporated into the programming. I say no.

This pretty much sums it up. I just wanted to see if there was really a reason for one attached to my rifle that I was over looking.

This pretty much sums it up. I just wanted to see if there was really a reason for one attached to my rifle that I was over looking.

The one thing I would definitely recommend is attaching a good quality scope level. It is a necessity for consistent long range accuracy. The Leica 1600 won't give you that valuable piece of info ;)

I had a cosine indicator mounted on my rifle before I had purchased a RF with the feature built in. I didnt bother to remove it, but haven't used it since. With the capability of a cosine angle included in my Shooter/iPhone as a back to my RF, I woulnt bother adding one to a new rig. IMO.

Well, if any of you boys with those fancy do everything rangefinders want to give up your angle cosine indicator and mount (picatinny or 30mm), I'd be happy if you'd donate it to this old school shooter!!:D Just drop me an email and I'll pay shipping. :)

DocB

You are setting up for the trophy of a lifetime and seconds count. The batteries died on your rangefinder. You know the approximate range because being smart you already ranged some rocks and other items in the area but it's a steep angle.

Would having a non electronic means for calculating the shot angle and range compensation be a good plan?

Yes.

Well, if any of you boys with those fancy do everything rangefinders want to give up your angle cosine indicator and mount (picatinny or 30mm), I'd be happy if you'd donate it to this old school shooter!!:D Just drop me an email and I'll pay shipping. :)

DocB

DocB,

Over a month has passed, any offers? :D

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.