Angle compensated Swaro's or Leica LRF's...?

longgunshooter

Angle compensated Swaro\'s or Leica LRF\'s...?

do they exist? yet??

the "other" mfr's look a little "chincy"/ unreliable.

Re: Angle compensated Swaro\'s or Leica LRF\'s...?

Not that i am aware of.

Leica GEOSYSTEMS builds one called the "VECTOR" for the Military and others, but the price is off the planet. It can however, directly connect to transmitter/targeting systems for data up-link.

leicavector4laserrangefinder.jpg

Actually, there is only one "Angle Compensated" Laser Range-finder on the market and that is Leupold's, and they use the Rifleman Method to obtain the corrected for gravity distance to target. The Rifleman method is the least accurate method one could use.

Leica no longer manufactures the "Viper" or "Vector's" as they have come to be known. Now Vectronix of Switzerland builds them.

The Viper's / Vector's have electronic inclinometers that display the angle up to 30 degrees.

If you are going to look at Vectors also worth a thought are Newcon LRB 20,000A (cheaper) but I would take Simrad LP10 (modular upgradeable). Don`t think Melios are available to non military.

David.

ds: You should send me your email address...

W,

email addy sent.

David

[ QUOTE ]
and they use the Rifleman Method to obtain the corrected for gravity distance to target. The Rifleman method is the least accurate method one could use.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is incorrect or misleading at best. While they do provide what they call TBR (True Ballistic Range ), they do display the LOS and angle so you can let your ballistics software compute the firing solution.

You are also incorrect in asserting they use the rifleman algorithm. According to their literature they use the McDonald/Almgren algorithm (considered the most accurate).
This is a Ginormous advantage if you have to make a quick shot and don't want to fumble around with your PDA.

Hopefully the other manufactures will add the digital inclinometer, as it is far superior to any analogue device.

B1g Bore:

Shooting your .50, does the Leupold range finder really satisfy your long distance needs?

In my opinion, without taking into account the unique ballistics of the cartridge that is being utilized, without ballistic targeting software, the information delivered is basically useless.

If the shooter is utilizing a .308, with a 168 grain bullet, and the target is at 300 yards on a 45 degree angle, (approximately a 16 story building) and a correction for gravity is not calculated, the shooter will hit high approximately 8 inches. Now add a little wind…

What I beleive is a better off the shelf approach when calculating corrected for gravity distance to target, is to utilize the Improved Riflemen method. Multiply the Co-Sine number to your moa or mil hold as depicted on your data card.

700 yard mil hold equals 4.5 mils. 4.5 X .7 = 3.15 mils.
or 700 yard hold equals 14.0 moa. 14.0 moa X .7 = 9.8 moa.

It would be better if the range finder produced those results... But tell me, why do you think that Vectronix doesn't give you the straight line distance to target? Or the Swarovsky's, or Leica's?

How much did you spend on your Kirby?

How much do other hunters spend on their optics?
Swarovsky 8X 56mm Green (Armor Coated) SWA58081 -SPECIAL-
$1599 $1439

Zeiss 10X 42 FL (w soft case) BA/CF Black Rubber Armored
ZEI524522
$1649

Swarovski Laser Guide 8x30...1500 Yards!!! SWA70002
$889

Leica Geovid BRF- 8X 42 Binoculars -Yards-
LCA40028
$1995

By the way, Bill McDonald is the physics prof who developed the point mass model that Sierra uses in the Infinity program. But Jacob Bynum wrote an article in Precision Shooting that implies that it is somewhat restricted.

And by the way, your package has not yet arrived. When did you send it?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.