Anealing question

Slammer14

So I sized some brass to load up for my 300 rum then buddie bought an anealer so I figured might as well run them through. Now do I need to resize again? Problem is I already loaded some to try out some new powder, should I be pulling bullets now?

I would pull stuff you've already built with the current component shortage. Unless you drop and dent some of the cases I wouldn't bother sizing them again if you run them through an Annealer. Its not the usual order but I just can't see how you would gain anything. I guess it wouldn't hurt if you did either. Does the brass really need annealing? Has it been fire more than twice without annealing?

It was fired twice without anealing. From now on I will probably try to aneal every fireing now that I can, and do all my steps in the correct order of coarse.

So I sized some brass to load up for my 300 rum then buddie bought an anealer so I figured might as well run them through. Now do I need to resize again? Problem is I already loaded some to try out some new powder, should I be pulling bullets now?
I dont think you need to resize after annealing ! I never do and my accuracy is never compromised!

We are also very picky about our dies and measuring this and that, I would resize them again personally. you know how when metal is heated and cooled it expands and contracts I think that might alter some measurements but how much is a whole new argument

Doing my last 25 pcs of brass I measured to shoulder, body size/set shoulders back, then annealed, then remeasured. Brass shrunk .003 from annealing, shoulder to case head. In the past I had always annealed first, then sized body/set shoulder back.

Hello Slammer, it appears that you sort of made a bit of a mess for yourself. The purpose of annealing is to control the variable of neck tension for more precise reloads. Annealing softens the brass due to work hardening of the material. I am not a fan of pulling bullets or using bullets that have been pulled. There's a lot of time that is wasted pulling the bullets, and....for me pulled bullets do not perform well at all. My thoughts are that if you assembled these rounds and they went together without any issues of loose necks, then send them as they will go "bang" without any safety issues. But........I would not be looking for any miraculous accuracy from these reloads.

For me there's no real answer to your post, it is more up to you as to what you would like to get out of these rounds, and at what expense of time invested, and money invested in components. If you choose to pull the rounds you will save the brass, the primer and the powder. Depending on your bullet puller and the bullets, you "MAY" be able to use them again, but.....again I would not be looking for any extraordinary groups from the pulled bullets. As for annealing I shoot a .270 Ackley Improved, I usually anneal after the second resizing on the brass.

This is one of those situations that a little research and some experience would have prevented. And.........there's not anyone on here who has done any considerable amount of reloading who can say that they have never made a mistake that would have been prevented had they done a little research and had more experience. Experience comes with mistakes.

When I read your post, I had one question,
"How many annealed rounds do you have reloaded?

For me this would have a direct impact on my choice for pulling the bullets or for sending them!!!​

Last edited:
I have 12 loaded with different charges to ply with. Probably just going to try them out. But you think I should resize the other casings? There's somewhere around 30 I believe

I have 12 loaded with different charges to ply with. Probably just going to try them out. But you think I should resize the other casings? There's somewhere around 30 I believe
The name of the game is "consistency"....to accuracy. So, YES run them back through the dies to ensure neck tension will be as close as possible to equal. And, in the future anneal first and resize after.