An unwanted bulg

Rich Coyle

Anyone have any idea what's causing this bulge and how to correct it. It's on both cases. All I did was neck up the existing and using 6.5 Coyle to 8mm. The bullet I want to use is the Hammer Hunter bullet.
Bullets.png

The necking up process looks like it took some shoulder material up into the neck. seating a bullet looks to have pushed that thicker area of brass to the outside.
To test, neck one up, then run the resulting case through a neck arbor . This is the dreaded donut.

I have a concern with this. neck up the brass and do not put a slug in the case and see if there is that bulge in the neck. if it is there then it seems to be a material issue and reaming would be appropriate remedy, IF not, then the seating is the issue. but at first it looked like a stretch issue and the curved part was a thinning of the neck that would have separated. then I noticed the bottom of the mark was larger than the top. .

I did what freddiej suggested. After forming the neck I used my inside the neck and inside the chamber pick to feel if there was a bump on the inside. It was pleasantly smooth. Looks like a new mandrel for the neck turner is in order.
Thanks, guys. I normally neck down so have not had this before.

10 Plunges.png

Neck Turn.png

Anyone have any idea what's causing this bulge and how to correct it. It's on both cases. All I did was neck up the existing and using 6.5 Coyle to 8mm. The bullet I want to use is the Hammer Hunter bullet.View attachment 169748
Interesting case.
I did something simular 15 years ago called a 308 AC magnum. Turning off the belt was an interesting exercise.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.