An article explaining why deer can see you so easily.

It sure is crazy. I read a few studies about deer vision and how they see colors. They see blues the best and some greens. They can see uv light, so fabrics that reflect (not fluoresce under) uv light are like beacons for deer. Lots of synthetics reflect uv light and it is important to know which ones do and do not when picking your hunting clothes.

Another important factor is to NOT use any clothes washing powder with whitening or brightening substances, these Fluoresce under UV light.
I was part of a study here in Australia that we had a pen with 1000 acres that housed wild Sambar deer. The tests involved checkered shirts with red/black, blue/black and green/black. Washed with regular detergent and whitening. The deer didn't care about the red/black even when washed in whitening detergent, but all the other colours they would react to. Any whites was like a beacon to them, as was blue jeans. The best colours were drab kakhi, browns and even black. Camo made very little difference.
Blaze orange/yellow made no difference either.

Cheers.

Another important factor is to NOT use any clothes washing powder with whitening or brightening substances, these Fluoresce under UV light.
I was part of a study here in Australia that we had a pen with 1000 acres that housed wild Sambar deer. The tests involved checkered shirts with red/black, blue/black and green/black. Washed with regular detergent and whitening. The deer didn't care about the red/black even when washed in whitening detergent, but all the other colours they would react to. Any whites was like a beacon to them, as was blue jeans. The best colours were drab kakhi, browns and even black. Camo made very little difference.
Blaze orange/yellow made no difference either.

Cheers.
Maybe that's why my grandfather was so successful hunting in his red/black pendleton and his carharts

That's all good info but it baffles me how my Grandpa killed so many deer in his old red and black flannel coat and his Elmer Fudd hat sitting a a steel 5 gallon bucket, technology is great but IMO we invest too much in this stuff
Ha! My grandpa wore an Elmer Fudd hat too--- maybe we are related 🤔

Probably not--- that's just what those ol guys used to wear to hunt in.--- maybe they knew more than we do?

It sure is crazy. I read a few studies about deer vision and how they see colors. They see blues the best and some greens. They can see uv light, so fabrics that reflect (not fluoresce under) uv light are like beacons for deer. Lots of synthetics reflect uv light and it is important to know which ones do and do not when picking your hunting clothes.
You must have been bored to dig this article after nearly 6 years. 🤣

NOT to stir things up (LOL)bbbbuuuutttt how many MATURE deer can ya hunt /kill and not try to blend in ,be still ,cover scent,QUIET,break wqind,///down wind 🤔 🤔 NOW young deer I could be butt naked with my pasty white hind end running around and still take out a few.. 😝 😝 😝 Thank God there isn't a emoji for that blinding scene ...:eek::rolleyes:o_O;)

Recent Posts