Amputee training

shortmagshooter

Well its been a rough 14 months for me and now I'm starting my rehabilitation with an above knee amputation. I still have hope I can get back to hiking and hunting In the backcountry. But as i start learning to use my prosthetic it's easy to get frustrated and loose hope. Are there any amputees on here that have gone through this and have any pointers for me?

May I ask as to how you lost your leg? If your injury is related to military service, I stand and salute your sacrifice for the defense of my Liberty. I had my chance to join in Fall 1976. The time came when the recruiting sergeant asked me to stand and raise my right hand. In the few seconds it took for him to utter those words my testicles evaporated, I grew a vagina and subsequently ran from the recruiting office like a little girl. The only dignity I retained was that I did not issue forth with a shrill scream, like would a frightened little girl.

Had I enlisted, I would have retired in about 2007 or 2008 as an O-6. I tested well above the average ASVAB score and I was going to enlist to eventually become a brass hat on a Trident after college to become a Nuclear Engineer. Three years as a swabbie, then off to school. Graduate with at least a 2.5 GPA I think it was, accept a commission and begin a Navy career on a nuclear submarine. At the moment of truth I wet my pants, turned and ran away from what had enormous potential for me and for the wife and kids I do not have today. Biggest mistake of my entire life. I can see the whole episode in my mind's eye like it was yesterday. The past cannot be lived a second time. We make our mistakes, and God has us live with them. It's a learning process He dreamed-up, I think. I keep failing His classes...

I am a army veteran but did not loose my leg in combat. I was involved in a firearm accident and was shot through the knee with a 155 gr hornady hollow point. Blew inch and a half hole through the leg severing the artery. My son a Sargent in the us army saved my life with a improvise tourniquet. Three hours in tourniquets helicopter flight to trauma center they salvage my leg but after eleven months of hell it finally had to be removed. I'm currently in a veterans hospital rehabilitation center learning to use the prosthetic but cant help but think about getting back to the mountains. I backpack hunted for years and thinking about not being able to return is depressing. I'm optimistic I will get life back but wanted to reach out and hear if anyone else on the forum had been through this.

I am not an amputee but did work with the Warrior Transition Battalion before retiring from the Army. I have worked with dozens of amputees and have a sense of your frustration. Hard work and not quitting. Thats it brother. We had double amputees climbing mountains and going on hunting trips all the time. Your ability to carry a lot of weight depends on your prosthetic fit. You will also need to be hitting the gym. Deadlifts and squats will not be fun but they will enable a better recovery and continued use.
Message me if you need anything!!

Sirs, both of your separate replies have brought tears to my eyes. I was a pathetic smear of u-bend material when came my chance, while the both of you stepped forward to defend my cowardice. I am in a debt to you that I can never repay. You are genuine Americans. I just ride your coattails...

I know its been awhile since I posted on this but its now February 2021 and hiking in the mountains is a real challenge for amputees i can truly contest. But I have learned a few things that can help others. If anybody ever has any questions or needs help feel free to reach out I will help anyway I can.

My father's friend lost his leg in Vietnam to a land mine-- he was able to resume hiking and hunting and for years he would out hunt/hike the most fit guy out there...come to find out years later, alot of it had to do with pride and bull-headedness he told us at the end of the day his leg where it met the prosthetic would be bruised and bleeding and get sores--but he was too proud to let anyone know.
Today he is in his 70s and regrets pushing the limits that much as he has many complications and is now in a wheel chair.

Have fun, enjoy life, but don't let your pride be the boss of you. It's a hard road to walk ( literally and figuratively) both physically and mentally, you'll get through it but don't be afraid to lean on friends and family for help.

There was a double-amputee (both legs at the knee) whom worked as a greeter at my local Walmart; he was former military. Can't remember if he lost his legs in IRQ or AFG. He became a trucker, as I am.

Many of today's trucks have automatic transmissions, just like in a passenger automobile. Why? Because so many women are becoming truckers, and it's easier to train a driver if he doesn't have to learn to double-clutch a non-synchro transmission before he can hit the road and make some money for both himself and the company. Modern technology has made automatic transmissions much smaller than they were even ten years ago. Their cost has also fallen. Such a wonderful thing that so many more people who may have been looking at a life of being unable to support a family can now get a job as a driver and make a living. Isn't America such a wonderful place? How can anybody hate this nation?

How is your journey going sir?? I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier. It can be done. Still haven't hit my goal of a public OTC archery mature bull but been really close a couple of times.

Attachments

• 1F158C89-5246-406E-B23B-935821B4D4F6.jpeg
    1F158C89-5246-406E-B23B-935821B4D4F6.jpeg
    321.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 049A25A1-796F-4CB8-93AE-E8965114A2DE.jpeg
    049A25A1-796F-4CB8-93AE-E8965114A2DE.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 46
  • B97D49B5-772F-413A-9DAF-537E4D9221B4.jpeg
    B97D49B5-772F-413A-9DAF-537E4D9221B4.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 50
  • CCCD9538-A719-4586-92EE-3A5B9A450660.jpeg
    CCCD9538-A719-4586-92EE-3A5B9A450660.jpeg