AMP - Will I regret buying this?

Above video on annealing is buy Mr. Eric Cortina. Mr. Cortina is one of the top F class shooters in America so I feel its reasonably safe for me to assume he knows a thing or two about the highest levels of precision reloading, and this is his take on annealing brass, but ESPECIALLY over annealing brass.
I'm not saying Mr. Cortina's opinions are the end all as they apply to annealing or precision reloading, but I have seen this guy shoot the type of tiny tiny groups with utterly boring regularity that most reloaders only dream of.
And yes I will concede you can buy a certain level of accuracy, but the level of accuracy Mr. Cortina achieves on a regular basis can not be bought.

EC uses an AMP now.

So a propane torch and a container of water is not a good way to anneal? I'm asking because I've been told this works great.
I had good results with the propane torch. I did not have good results dropping them into water to cool them. My ES went from the low to mid teens to the low 40's upper 30's after trying to cool them in water. I do wet tumble after annealing to remove the oxidization from inside the necks. I found that I had higher ES and SD's when I just annealed and sized the brass. I also noticed it took more force to seat my bullets. Of course that's just one person's results. Mine. I am sure there are plenty of people who use the water cooled method and have good results. Find what works best for you and run with it.

So a propane torch and a container of water is not a good way to anneal? I'm asking because I've been told this works great.
My two cents... Handloading is all about consistency. It is the most important point to every bullet made and every step taken to make them. If you're going to sit at the bench then make the best you can. A propane torch is not ideal, however, if a propane torch and a bucket of water are all you have or can afford, then use it. At least it will save your brass. My advice is to save and buy one of the several annealing units out on the market. It doesn't have to be an AMP to get consistent results. Keep an eye out for a used one. Many people have saved up and upgraded to an AMP.

Well, My AMP came in Friday. I haven't been on the internet as my wife & I have been moving my reloading setup from my work shop which is 100 yards from the house to an empty bedroom in the house. Now I can have my wife & pups visiting me while I reload.
I'll let everyone know later how it turns out. I think it will help, I just don't know how much. The reason is because my precision shooting is done out of rifles with match chambers (min saami) and my dies are made from 3x fire formed brass neck sized only + the chamber print. My brass is worked a minimum.
I'll get this incorporated into my process and I am sure it will help. It's to see how much. As time & money permits further develop my process by evaluating neck turning & bettering the accuracy/consistency of my powder charges.
I'm pleasantly surprised at the amount of feedback I received and would like to thank each and every one of you. I'll will come back and post my results once I have shot and annealed enough to be able to determine how much it has helped.
Many Thanks…..Lynn

Attachments

• 917C4DAA-A96C-4813-A42C-E35076AC10BE.jpeg
    917C4DAA-A96C-4813-A42C-E35076AC10BE.jpeg
    1,003.7 KB · Views: 57

Recent Posts