AMP Press

Check it out! Case volume measuring capability with the AMP Press!

Take my money 😭

AMPs next big project needs to be an engraver and database program, so I can engrave individual cases with QR codes and track their life cycles, annealing, and seating readings in a program. But then they'd need to make a machine that reads the QR codes and sorts cases for me, and I would end up sending them more money.

Kind of not joking about the database program, we're on the edge of information overload and need to manage the data. I agree about now that we can see actual data on the results of certain processes (chamfering, turning, seating, sorting, etc) that correlation will start turning into causation, and with hard facts a big bit of progress can be made very quickly in increasing load quality.

Last edited:
That's definitely what some people are doing. I'm not sure a QR code would hold up very well... but it's possible. Engraving and keeping track, that's something that's been done and is being done by a few. I think its a great idea! Systematic tracking of individual brass performance would no doubt give us a window into many things!

I'll admit I have no idea what an actually durable form of engraving would be, seems like brass is too malleable (or whichever $2 word for "soft" is correct here) for that to hold up inside the chamber during firing, but it would be interesting. Maybe in the nearer term someone could do a test along the lines of sorting a lot down to a batch of cases as closely matched as possible then track the brass through every step of a complete case lifecycle until failure to see what happens along the way. Something like start with 150 cases, with the plan of losing some along the way from things like nuking one in the annealer after each firing. Shoot the same load across a chrony. Measure everything with the press. See the actual results of what happens without prejudice.

I'd put up cash money to see that test.

Last edited:
Biggest thing for me is if it can identify problems or fliers that a k and m with force pack can't.
I think you're going to be waiting a long time for that answer. Speaking for myself only... no way would I come out and say it. K&M is a good company and they have made quite an impact on the industry. I know that my other arbor presses have been collecting dust for a good long while... but my AMP isn't leaving my bench anytime soon. You'll have to take from that what you will.

Well I'm on the list for a press. Sounds like end of the year before delivery, but I'll be lucky to have the rifle by then so no wasted time. Still have the lead time on getting a sizing die to deal with also, maybe SAC will have them back by then.

Big question is which LE Wilson bullet seater do I need - the standard, the micrometer, or the Sinclair special one with the detent adjuster?