AMP in Aztec Mode Over Annealing Brass?

General RE LEE

My local range has a first edition AMP machine with the AZTEC mode installed. I have Lapua brass from some Berger OTM factory ammo I shot. I sacrificed 2 cases to confirm the AMP code is 0202 which is really hot. I am using the 017-A pilot for the 6.5 Creedmoor. The brass comes out with the neck, shoulder and almost halfway down the case annealed with the neck looking almost sand blasted.

Anyone ever get an AZTEC code that really cooks the brass?

Picture of said case? Additionally, you are using a #17 pilot, fully screwed in and then the 017 A analyse code for Aztec correct? The only time I have seen this happen is with the incorrect pilot or analyse code inputted into the machine. Note also, Mk1 Aztec modes are not interchangeable with Mk2 Aztec codes due to impedance differences between the two.

I don't know if you've ever used one before (and maybe someone who hasn't will see this) so I promise I'm not trying to be rude by saying this: If the sacrificial brass was what looked trashed, that's normal - mine came out with chunks missing from the necks on several cases. If that's regular brass using the code you got I would stop and not waste anymore cases.

brass amp.png

That does seem very hot though, my SRP Lapua 6.5CM came back at 0157. 3X fired but minimally sized each time. I guess I have no advice other than confirm the pilot was the correct one? Maybe call AMP if it was because that's odd.

I use standard codes on factory reloads because I usually only have 20 at a time and don't want to waste one for an Aztec code, that's an option until you can figure out what's going on. Maybe try the 74 code and see what they look like, even if it's not perfect it's better than nothing:
6.5cm lapua amt.JPG

Last edited:
QuietTexans comment made me think. Is this rough looking brass from the pieces that were sacrificed in AZTEC or the pieces that were annealed with the 202 code? While not 6.5 CM, my lapua 6.5 PRC brass has a 191 code, just for some reference.

The pictured brass below is one that was sacrificed in AZTEC.

Attachments

• amp pic.PNG
    amp pic.PNG
    17.2 KB · Views: 86
^^^ Mine look grey like that until I clean them up a bit to keep debris out of the container. I write the code on the original Lapua box and on sacrificed case and save it until the whole lot gets trashed.

I don't know if you've ever used one before (and maybe someone who hasn't will see this) so I promise I'm not trying to be rude by saying this: If the sacrificial brass was what looked trashed, that's normal - mine came out with chunks missing from the necks on several cases. If that's regular brass using the code you got I would stop and not waste anymore cases.

View attachment 324312

That does seem very hot though, my SRP Lapua 6.5CM came back at 0157. 3X fired but minimally sized each time. I guess I have no advice other than confirm the pilot was the correct one? Maybe call AMP if it was because that's odd.

I use standard codes on factory reloads because I usually only have 20 at a time and don't want to waste one for an Aztec code, that's an option until you can figure out what's going on. Maybe try the 74 code and see what they look like, even if it's not perfect it's better than nothing:
View attachment 324309

Thank you. The sacrificed brass is trashed and I know how it works. The code is 0202 after the analysis and the brass comes out pretty discolored and the case lips even look slightly rippled. I might use the standard program.

The rounds shoot pretty good but I am watching for neck tension cause they seat bullets pretty soft.

Dang, well I've got nothing for you then other than trying a standard code and emailing their tech support. I'd be very interested in their answer, especially if they think the cases are still useable if they've been overcooked so to speak.

Dang, well I've got nothing for you then other than trying a standard code and emailing their tech support. I'd be very interested in their answer, especially if they think the cases are still useable if they've been overcooked so to speak.

No worries I will try a standard code. I'm wondering if Berger has a different metallurgy formulation for their brass they get from Lapua that requires a lot of heat to fully anneal in the AZTEC setting. Who knows. Thank you

Recent Posts