AMP Annealer Upgrade

dok7mm

I see where Alex @ AMP is set to announce the Aztec Upgrade, via the USB port on existing units, at SHOT.

This will allow AMP users to use the upgrade to find the exact program for their brass, without shipping brass samples to New Zealand for testing.

From what I've heard, it takes one case, to have the machine generate the exact program for each brand and neck thickness of brass.

I am assuming the upgrade price will be announced this week at SHOT. If it's a reasonable, it should save users the cost and hassle of shipping brass to AMP. I was wondering if I would ever need USB port......now I know.

I'm looking forward to this! I'd heard there was an upgrade but I didn't know it could find the best setting for your specific brass.

I'm really looking forward to hearing the details. I'm a little slow about sending brass to Alex for testing, as most of settings seem to work fine, based on the existing library. Still, it will be great to be able to test all our own brass.

Now, that's pretty darned nice! I can't believe they already have parts in the machine that can do the sensing required to run that but, hey, who am I to question that. I really hope that's not an expensive upgrade but I'm in!!!

Youtube version:

Last edited:
How does it analyze, what?
Don't have a clue, at this time. I think Alex has extensive & expensive minds behind their research. Time will tell how well it works vs their testing in NZ, but I doubt they will share their exact software program. I'm too retarded to care how it works, just want it to work as advertised.

Apparently it'll be available in February from any of their distributors for about $250. I don't know if it will be downloadable from them or it will ship on a disc.

The $250 cost for the upgrade is going to turn a lot of people off. I'm gonna wait for a lot of positive reviews from users, before I entertain upgrading my own.

I'd be interested in seeing the Aztec program results vs the program setting I got from Alex, on same lots I sent him for testing.

" In for a penny, in for a pound" :(

I'll go ahead and spend it since I play around with different brass and neck thicknesses a lot for my wildcats. It'll save me time but I understand waiting for reviews.

I'll go ahead and spend it since I play around with different brass and neck thicknesses a lot for my wildcats. It'll save me time but I understand waiting for reviews.
That's what we need, to see how precise the upgrade functions. I hope you will share your results, especially if you also have brass Alex has tested.

When watching the video, it doesn't look like the output is the same as the setting number you get when you send brass for testing. It looked to me like it a longer four string number. I wonder if there's a way to compare the two settings.

I ran into something yesterday where, I think, Aztec would help me out.

I resized 50 6.5 SS cases after annealing using the settings AMP has for my brass type and neck. That called for setting 111. About eight would not bump the shoulders like the others. I re-annealed those at 116 and five sized perfectly. I re-annealed the last three at 122 and they resized perfectly. Obviously, those cases were different from the others even though all my brass is from the same lot. In any case, with Aztec, I would have seen those cases as outliers if i sorted all the brass first.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.