Ammunition shortage, scalpers, and the future

finbob

Hello! I am very new to this forum and would love to hear what "insiders" have to say about the current ammunition shortage. Certainly, the claim that increased demand without a means to quickly ramp up production makes sense, but several websites are commenting on the idea that scalpers are using bots to buy large quantities of ammunition and selling it for much more than they purchased it for. If that is the case, then where are these scalpers? I haven't been able to find anyone selling "scalped" ammunition...

Neither the big box stores nor the small sporting goods stores in my area have been able to get any sort of inventory for quite some time. I would assume that these stores (Cabela's, Fleet Farm, Academy, Scheel's, etc.) would have "first dibs" from suppliers as these corporate contracts would take priority over private sales and small shops. However, these stores have had absolutely no supply. Where is the ammo?

If anyone has good intel on what is happening, where I can find ammunition, and what to expect over the next few months I would appreciate it. I have been waiting for years to finally get the opportunity to hunt elk, and I am concerned that I will not be able to find ammo to do so.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

All those lovely people are selling it on gun broker, and scared people are paying 400% of the msrp for it.
Been through quite a few "scares" I say this one will last 2-4 years minimum

You can find stiff pop up on all kinds of reputable websites at normal or close to normal prices--- but you gotta be "Johnny on the spot" to buy some before they sell out.

Just keep looking, or better yet post up here what you are looking for-- some one here might have extra to help you out

Thank you. Which websites would you consider reputable? I've been on several "notify me" lists and still haven't been able to purchase anything.

Looking for 7mm Remington magnum

Notify lists don't work for me, by the time I get the email they are all sold out, gotta watch forums like this one for other people posting, or just keep the webpages open and refresh several times per day

7 mag isn't going to be super hard to find. Be thankful you don't have something like a 6.5 PRC!

I just went to ammoseek and they had links to 17 different flavors of 7mag. Prices aren't great, and your options are going to be limited if your looking for a specific manufacture/load but if your in a bind you can find something that should work. Check into the place your buying from before you purchase.

It just provides links to places that have Ammo in stock. As far as I know they don't actually sell anything. But there are lots of very reputable sellers linked on there. Just do a little research on the specific seller your buying from. Some you don't need to, Midway has some 7 mag right now and aside from some of their pricing recently your in good hands.

Prices of Ammo is coming down. Midway drop there prices on 5.56 ammo to .83 per round on there green tip ammo. ( this is where I gauge ammo pricing is on 5.56 ammo) Here a few months ago it was $2.00 per round. Hopefully people have smarten up and not going STUPID and paying anything for ammo. It's still $0.50 to high for what it should be. Two years ago it was about $0.28 per round. So just in a few months it's dropped about $1.20 per round. From what I have seen that powder like from the Graf & Son, Brownell, and Midway, hasn't gone up that much and a few others too. Just can't get it. So let the one that are trying to bend you over sit on their items, and remember who was doing what to us, as a whole.

The big box stores may have a problem now. They are used to getting the terms (90-120-180 days to pay) they want. I expect distributors can find plenty of people willing to pay up front now. Is this why they do not have ammo and my LGS does? I don't know

I was told that the big store's lets say Cabelas have orders for X number of 8 pound jugs of H4350, 500,000 small rifle primers and so on. If say the supplier to Cabelas doesn't have X number of 8 pounder's they wont ship them any. Not sure if that is right just saying that is what I heard.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.