Ammo tarnishing

Blackdirt Cowboy

I have a weird question, not sure if
this is the right place for this, but here goes. I have a savage ar10 in .308 set up with thermal for hog extermination. Currently, I'm using Barnes factory ammo - 168 grain ttsx. I keep several magpul magazines loaded for quick access. The magazines that I sore in my ammo cabinet or in my hunting bag are fine. But if I keep a magazine in or anywhere near the gun, the ammo tarnishes like crazy. Not only does it look bad, if I fire it, it won't extract. I had to take a rod down the barrel and pound it out. The last magazine that tarnishes was stores by the gun in my gun safe that has a golden rod in it, so it shouldn't be humidity causing it. My ammo cabinet is just a cabinet in my house, and it doesn't happen there. What gives? I'm tired of wasting expensive ammo.

CBC2FA63-7491-4B3E-9FB2-707692D45574.jpeg
The one on top was in the chamber. The other two were in the magazine. Could it be the oil I used on the bcg causing this?

Hmmm. I use hoppes #9 to clean everything. Then wipe it down and use FP-10 to lube it all up. What can I use to clean all this out so it quits happening?

For lubing your guns (all guns), I recommend using RemOil. I use it on everything, including wet-patching bores, before and after using solvent. Been using it for 17 years with no issues.

Also, like was stated, use it sparingly, you don't have to spray so much that it's dripping out of every gap. My dad always coated everything in WD-40, and when you went to grab a gun out of the safe it was like you just stuck your hand in the oil pan of an engine. He was taught by his father, who grew up in the 30's and 40's, using old-school cleaning techniques, because that was required for older weapons. I always hated that he soaked the guns down, and when I worked at the gun store, I learned just how bad WD-40 is for guns, and how many problems it can cause, and that modern firearms don't require the same old-school cleaning and lubing and maintenance that old guns do, thanks to modern lubricants and modern finishes, and better metal alloys. At the gun store, they used RemOil there, and I've been using it ever since.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.