Ammo Recc's: Tikka .300 win mag (T3x Superlite) with 1:11 twist

I've read quite a bit on this forum regarding 1:10 vs. 1:11 twist in similar calibers but didn't find anything directly on point. The application is elk hunting; I'd like to feel confident shooting out to 500 - 550 yards if needed. Have read good things about Berger hybrids and juggernauts. Looks like that with 1:11 twist I want to be around 175 - 185 grains, but have read posts recommending down to 155.

I should mention that unfortunately, I do not - yet - do my own loading.

Thanks much.

Start with a box of the 180's which you'll want and feel better about for the elk anyway, plus you'll have the brass to reload with when you do get setup, your twist will handle them fine, do you have a friend or possibly a brother who loads and could help you get started, this forum is a great resource for information but like your shooting make sure you "verify" what you intend to use for components and procedures, good luck

Not my rifle but I watched my dad shoot a bull elk at 250 yards using factory 180 gr TTSX Barnes ammo. Those mono bullets hit hard and performed exactly as designed.

He owns the T3X Lite, magnaport brake, and Zeiss glass. This ammo shot so well he took it to a shooting class (400 yd - 700 yd) and hung in there with the custom gun guys. He hadn't shot passed 100 yards until that point.

That rifle/ammo combo is phenomenal for a factory setup.

Good morning Phil, WELL ITS MORNING HERE BUT I JUST CANT SLEEP.

I have a Tikka t3x lite, no brake, just plain factory stock. It really likes 180 gr Rem core lock. I groups well but have only used it to 100 yds. In a few weeks going to run some groups Berger factory 168 Classic hunters 175 VLD , 168 VLd, 180 elite Hunter and 185 classic hunter , they should all be stable with stability factors #s from 1.6 to 1.86, and i will see if they group well in my rifle, if i can find all of them. Currrently all my shooting is factory loads. I think the 168 and 185 will do well.
When I tried the 185 Jaugernaught it was too long for my magazine,
Hope this help some , getting groggy LOL Need some sleep.
Be safe be well,be thankful Tommy

Good morning Phil, WELL ITS MORNING HERE BUT I JUST CANT SLEEP.

I have a Tikka t3x lite, no brake, just plain factory stock. It really likes 180 gr Rem core lock. I groups well but have only used it to 100 yds. In a few weeks going to run some groups Berger factory 168 Classic hunters 175 VLD , 168 VLd, 180 elite Hunter and 185 classic hunter , they should all be stable with stability factors #s from 1.6 to 1.86, and i will see if they group well in my rifle, if i can find all of them. Currrently all my shooting is factory loads. I think the 168 and 185 will do well.
When I tried the 185 Jaugernaught it was too long for my magazine,
Hope this help some , getting groggy LOL Need some sleep.
Be safe be well,be thankful - Tommy - guns are finicky about what you feed them.

I wish Tikka would get there twist rates down and catch up with the modern bullet makers or at least do 1/10 for 30's, 1/9 for 7mm and 1/8 for your 6.5 and 6mm. This is one of the reason I have only bought 1 Tikka and its the wife's gun in 243.

I wish Tikka would get there twist rates down and catch up with the modern bullet makers or at least do 1/10 for 30's, 1/9 for 7mm and 1/8 for your 6.5 and 6mm. This is one of the reason I have only bought 1 Tikka and its the wife's gun in 243.
They would have to make a true long action as well.

Don't give up on the 200s until you've tried them. I've shot the 200 grain Accu Bond, ELDx and Sierra Game King, all under an inch with Ramshot Magnum.

I 'm thinking seriously about moving on from my Rem. 700 in 300 WM. I bought it used and have shot it for years and it has proven capable of 1/2" groups. BUT, I'm ready for something new. I have my eyes on a Tikka T3X in 300 WM ... it's lighter by at least 1.5 lbs. the actions are smooth as silk, and I have read about how accurate they are out of the box. (I have a Sako in 30-06 and it's always been a tack driver).

My only concern is whether the Tikka's 1:11 twist will stabilize long semi-heavy projectiles...e.g., my favorite being the 200 gr. Barnes LRX and Hammer Hunter 181's which I use for elk.

What do you think?

Not my rifle but I watched my dad shoot a bull elk at 250 yards using factory 180 gr TTSX Barnes ammo. Those mono bullets hit hard and performed exactly as designed.

He owns the T3X Lite, magnaport brake, and Zeiss glass. This ammo shot so well he took it to a shooting class (400 yd - 700 yd) and hung in there with the custom gun guys. He hadn't shot passed 100 yards until that point.

That rifle/ammo combo is phenomenal for a factory setup.
I've read quite a bit on this forum regarding 1:10 vs. 1:11 twist in similar calibers but didn't find anything directly on point. The application is elk hunting; I'd like to feel confident shooting out to 500 - 550 yards if needed. Have read good things about Berger hybrids and juggernauts. Looks like that with 1:11 twist I want to be around 175 - 185 grains, but have read posts recommending down to 155.

I should mention that unfortunately, I do not - yet - do my own loading.

Thanks much.
Tikka is now making T3X's in 300 Win Mag with 1:10" twist so it should be better suited for stabilizing long/heavy for caliber projectiles. I ordered a lite model about two weeks ago, but I am a bit concerned about the limited magazine length (3.360') and therefore limited ability to properly set seating depth for long/heavy for caliber mono bullets like Hammer, Berger, Barnes LRX/TTSX, etc. from 190 to 215 gr. I have developed accurate 300 win mag loads for my Rem 700 using the above bullets seated from .070 to .140 off the lands (rifle has a deep throat/limited only by the magazine length - 3.630"). Given the constraints of the Tikka magazine, I'm concerned that I may have to reduce the powder charge in order avoid overly compressing some loads.

If you or anyone out there has any experience related to my question, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks...

Tikka T3X in 300 Win Mag is now 1 in 10" twist

Phil,
Sorry I can't give you any help with an ammo recommendation. I own a T3x superlite myself and it is a great dinky little rifle in .243. Its so lite even in .243 it jumps a bit. I can't imagine the recoil in 300 Win. Mag. How are you taming that big old recoil?

I have a Sako 85 Finnlight 300WM that runs the same 11 twist barrel as the Tikka. I tried reloading a good selection of 180gr class projectiles and couldn't get any of them to shoot.

Once I moved up to Berger 210 HVLDs groups tightened up to sub 0.5MOA and I have shot them out to 1km on targets with good results.

I also tried some 215gr hybrids and quickly got them shooting tight groups, but I expect in the 11 twist they are losing some of the BC.

Don't be afraid to try some heavier projectiles if you can get hold of them.

Also, I know a number of people running Tikka T3s in 300WM and 7mmRM that run two loads, a long range load that they load long and single feed and 'spook and shoot' load that is loaded to fit the magazine for shorter range shots when speed is of the essence and dialling isn't required.

Ed

Recent Posts