AMMO NOT IN STOCK

I have been reloading for many, many, many years. I loaded some ammunition for one of the guys who went hunting with us this past bear season. Before he got the rifle from me, I had shot it plenty, was familiar with this rifle and knew what my reloads would do in his rifle. EVEN with this I was hesitant to reload for him, my thoughts were, "What if something happens while he is hunting with my reloads!???" No matter what there's always the propensity for something to go wrong, from something catastrophic to a FTF on a trophy animal. I would never give my reloads to someone nor would I ever shoot someone else's reloads in my guns.

I will put this out there as well. There are a lot of people who reload, who should not be reloading. The attached picture is of a loaded round that was given to a guy I know to shoot in a rifle he was going to use in a Western hunt he had coming up. He hadn't looked at the rounds since he got them. These were loaded by a self proclaimed "seasoned" and very "knowledgeable" reloader. One day he got them out and we actually looked at them. The picture is just one of the mess in the box. I pulled the bullets for him. The clumped powder, I don't know if it was from so much compression of the load or moisture being drawn from the cracked neck. Anyone care to speak on their opinion of that?

And I don't know what they chamfered and de-burred with. It was a wreck.

Attachments

• D1157929-F30C-4D7A-8656-A02077C8786C.jpeg
    D1157929-F30C-4D7A-8656-A02077C8786C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 47
  • EA55C27D-A7E8-473E-9EE1-8F65EFC51C0D.jpeg
    EA55C27D-A7E8-473E-9EE1-8F65EFC51C0D.jpeg
    307 KB · Views: 57
You sure know how to make a guy feel bad. I have a considerable amount of reloading components that are 100% solely designed and intended for a hunting application but despite owning over a dozen hunting rifles I have almost no factory ammo as I reload 99% of my rifle ammo.

My local Cabela's & BP (Hammond IN/LaPorte IN) has a CRAP ton of ammo in most popular calibers in 6mm, 6.5, 270, 7mm .308w, 30/06 300wm, 45/70, 350 legend etc but it's pricy. Best I can offer is to buy it and resell it to a person for cost + S&H, but again it will end up being quite expensive.
Also had 1000s of rounds of HG and 223/556 but again pricy.

Only factory ammo I have available on hand are small quantities (<50) of Federal Power Shock in 308 Winchester and 300wsm. Also have around 50 rounds of 30+ year old Norma factory 6.5x55 Swede.

Last edited:
I will put this out there as well. There are a lot of people who reload, who should not be reloading. The attached picture is of a loaded round that was given to a guy I know to shoot in a rifle he was going to use in a Western hunt he had coming up. He hadn't looked at the rounds since he got them. These were loaded by a self proclaimed "seasoned" and very "knowledgeable" reloader. One day he got them out and we actually looked at them. The picture is just one of the mess in the box. I pulled the bullets for him. The clumped powder, I don't know if it was from so much compression of the load or moisture being drawn from the cracked neck. Anyone care to speak on their opinion of that?

And I don't know what they chamfered and de-burred with. It was a wreck.
I consider myself a knowledgeable reloader and I would NEVER give anyone even my best life long friend my reloads, WAAAAAAAAYYYYYY to much liability today and has been for a long time.
My best guess is between 9mm, 45acp, 38/357 44mag/spcl 40S&W have reloaded at least 100k HG rounds and yes I did have two instances within the first 1k rounds of 45acp I ever reloaded on a processive press where I failed to charge a total of TWO just TWO rounds reloads of 45acp. Thank God both resulted in a failure to function HG and nothing worse.
You do not want to find out just how strong your friendship is when one of you is staring a six to seven figure lawsuit in the face and possible criminal charges as well.

Some 20-25 years ago I USE TO allow my closest friends to come use my reloading equipment to make their own ammo, but I wont even do that anymore.

I worked with my sons on reloading and both reload now. There sure is a lot to learn, and equipment to purchases. I have purchase a lot of equipment for them over the year too. For high power rifles buying over the counter ammo I generally don't. All my hunting rifles I only hand load. I do have the means to load for pistol, but I don't shoot much in that way. With the problem of getting ammo and components I have cut down my shooting down a lot. If I shot I verify my zero, and that about it. What a mess to get components again. This the 3rd time in my life time running into not being able to get components for reloading.

Recent Posts