Ammo and Reloading Component Availability

scsims

How long do you guys see this run on ammo and reloading supplies lasting? And how long does it take to get the stores stocked back after the demand slows?

Im having a lot of problems finding components... especially 308 brass since i just started building one. 30 cal Amax bullets seem to be tough to find too, my starting load is going to be based on the 175 Nosler Custom Competition for now but want to switch later on to amax's for their terminal performance. If anyone has places for winchester 308 brass or even lapua shoot me a PM, Thanks!

The last time around, it took a couple of years to settle back down to normal. I think more guys are stocked up this time so hopefully it settles out again sooner. Local store shelves are pretty bare but just ordered some powder from Midway last night. .22 cal brass and bullets are hard to come by.

The last two years I sure stocked up. I purchased a bunch of components right before the election too, for profit purposes. I can see it getting just as bad if not worse than the last time because of the current situation. I bought an AR-15 the day before the election because I had a bad feeling. I'm glad I did. I really am not into them, but I might change my mind in the future. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

As we sit here today, 3 months after this tread started, the situation has only become worse. I check 3 major sporting goods stores multiple times per week. In Reno Nv., the big Cab, Scheels, and 1 other. Limits have been put on purchases, but the problem seems to be that they are not getting deliveries

There is hardly any rifle or pistol powder. Only the most expensive (Barnes, Nosler and some Sierra Gold bond) are on the bullet shelves. ALL calibers except for the biggest (like .338) are affected. NO large rifle primers, a few small rifle primers here and there, no mag pistol primers, very few small rifle. Most stores are out of 9mm & 40 cal ammo, but have some 45.

It seems that not only are people stockpiling/hoarding, but there is a huge slowdown in supply. Stores are telling me that they are not getting regular shipments these days, only sporatic deliveries. Primers don't even come in with the other items, they are delivered as special shipments- one store told me via me Fedex. Manufacturers are feeding their live ammo lines first, component sales 2nd. (One store got 100 lbs of powder in 1 lb bottles, and it was gone in 1.5 days (2 lb limit per customer).

Then I heard about the DHS buying 1.6 billion rounds over the next few years. (Along with recycled armored personell carriers and other stuff from Iraq.) Interestingly, the Social Sec Admin is buying 176,000 hollow point 9mm & 40 cal. (HPs are illegal for miltary use via the Geneva Convention.) Google it, and you will find that this is NOT an urban myth! I have never been one to dive headlong into conspiracy theories, but the facts are there to see and one can only wonder what key people in the Fed Govt have in mind for freedom in America. Armored personell carriers, HP bullets, drones? Hey what about nerve gas and biological weapons? Will they be calling him "Chemical Hagel" some day???

So Obama and Feinstein don't want the public to have ARs, or really, any gun, but they are willing to sign a purchase order to procure Geneva Convention banned munitions for use against American citizens. Someone is a lying hippocrit. But the media is not picking up on this - not even Fox! WHY NOT??

"Something stinks in the state of DC." Make that "everything".

Google "DHS buys ammo". Scary.

Also, you will find that ICE bought millions of rounds....including HPs. Uh, how often do ICE agents fire their guns in an active chase or investigation??? It is very rare, and that's part probably of the border control problem. I think they must have fired a total of 500 rounds or less during enforcement operations over the last 12 months. Same with Social Security Admin.

Google "DHS buys ammo". Scary.

Also, you will find that ICE bought millions of rounds....including HPs. Uh, how often do ICE agents fire their guns in an active chase or investigation??? It is very rare, and that's part probably of the border control problem. I think they must have fired a total of 500 rounds or less during enforcement operations over the last 12 months. Same with Social Security Admin.

That is some interesting info...I hadn't heard anything about that.

Store owners are not happy about it at all. Not just because of the lost sales of components but also of guns. They tell me that people are not buying guns as a result of the ammo shortage, or are trying select guns based on the ammo that's available.

If it is public stock piling that's causing it, this should end soon because people's shooting habits have not increased proportionate to the purchases, and after a while everyone will either have run out of money or stockpiled enough that they're not worried about every buying a round again.

If it is because of the govt buying everything up, then who knows? All they have to do is raise our taxes to afford to continue stockpiling. They know no limits.

All I know is that I cannot buy sqaut. Everytime I go into Sportsman Warehouse in Twin Falls, Idaho, I start laughing. I mean---nothing. Glad I have three muzzleloaders!

Randy

Yeah. Nothing in any stores here. The powder problem is, everything comes from out of the country (ie. hodgdon is made in Australia). They are not letting powder through customs. There is 300,000 lbs of powder as of a month ago, probably more now, just sitting in customs awaiting clearance to be delivered.

Yeah. Nothing in any stores here. The powder problem is, everything comes from out of the country (ie. hodgdon is made in Australia). They are not letting powder through customs. There is 300,000 lbs of powder as of a month ago, probably more now, just sitting in customs awaiting clearance to be delivered.

How did you find this information ? Can you provide a link to read about this ?
I was told that Hogdon told a business owner that they will not produce any powder for the public until about 6 more weeks then it would start to ship out as they got it . I dont have any proof other than hear say and you know how that can be some times.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.