Ammo advise for 300 win mag

I've never had an issue getting critters to fall with my 300win using 165 grain hornady interlocks pushed to 3250 fps or so with rl22... The sst's will open a bit faster, so they may shock a bit more, but a lead core Hornady will do well on critters... In 7mm, I've used a lot of Nosler and Sierra 140 grain...

The only issue with high speed is that you need to find a rapid expanding bullet. If the bullet doesn't expand rapidly, you may pass thru if it doesn't hit bone and not do enough damage for a quick kill. The key is to find the right bullet construction.
If a bullet doesn't open fast enough at high speed, it won't do it at a lower one. For what your shooting and the distances involved, any cup and core bullet should suffice. Personally, I'd probably go with a 180 gr Accubond or a 166-181 gr Hammer hunter.

If a bullet doesn't open fast enough at high speed, it won't do it at a lower one. For what your shooting and the distances involved, any cup and core bullet should suffice. Personally, I'd probably go with a 180 gr Accubond or a 166-181 gr Hammer hunter.
This is very relevant. Neither of the mentioned cartridges are inadequate for Axis deer. In fact by many standards they are overkill.
Shooting them in the shoulder, with several rounds makes me wonder what ammo was in use. How much damage was there? How did the bullets perform?

Picking the bullet is way more important than what it comes out of. If you are going to shoot shoulders, use a bullet designed to penetrate, if you shoot lungs, go with a soft bullet that will come apart easily.
There are better bullets available now than ever before, many giving both expansion and penetration.

We could sure use more information, and in this case I don't think going bigger is the answer.