AMAX performance on Big Game

My first year with the 7mm, 162 grain A-max. I shot 2 deer at ranges of 525 and 690 yards. Terminal velocity of 2300 to 2500 fps. Both were first shot kills. Broadside chest cavity hits, one was double lung, one single lung. One bullet was recovered just under the hide on far side, the bullet from the other deer was not found but did not exit. (Too cold and messy to really care). The one recovered bullet had just barely separated from its jacket and retained about 40% of its weight.

I shot a 3rd deer at 670 and did not recover it. Hit hard, dropped to the ground, some blood and a quarter sized piece of bone, probably from the leading edge of the rear shoulder, deer was slightly quartering away. No exit wound, lost the blood trail after 100 yards. Doesn't help that I am partially red-green colorblind. Pretty sure it was a deadly hit.

Later I cut through an A-max and compared it to a Matchking. The jacket on the A-max is about 2/3 or 3/4 as thick as the Matchking jacket. I wish my 670 yard deer had been hit with a Matchking giving better penetration. I think I would have recovered it.

I leave for Coues deer in Mexico day after tomorrow and will be trying the Matchking this time. I only wish the Matchking BC of about .490 was equal to the .625 of the A-Max. I feel wind drift is such a major factor in first shot kills on game animals.

I SHOT SEVERAL WHITETAIL DEER THIS YEAR USING THE 178 A-MAX IN THE 7.82 WARBIRD. FIRST ONE WAS AT 225 YARDS-BROADSIDE HIT BULLET EXPANDED BEYOND WORDS AND REMOVED 8" OF THE DEER'S STERNUM ALONG WITH BOTH LUNGS AND HEART.. I COULD NOT HAVE BEEN HAPPIER; HOWEVER ANOTHER SHOT AT 200,AND ONE SHOT AT 345YARDS,THE RESULTS WERE DISSAPOINTING; NO EXPANSION WHATSOEVER-BOTH SHOT IN CHEST WITH NO MAJOR BONES (SHOULDERS) BEING HIT. THE LUNGS AND HEART WERE DESTROYED BUT THE EXIT WOUNDS WERE NO LARGER THAN THE ENTRANCES. THERE WAS NO APPRECIABLE BLOOD TRAIL: I WILL SWITCH BACK TO SMK'S OT NBT'S FOR THE NEXT SEASON..

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.