Am in the market for a new gun

freebird63

Here are some baics, I live in Idaho and will be hunting mule deer and elk.
I had a 300 RSAUM, its an awesome gun, had to sell my wifes gun to pay bills and she has always wanted my gun, so be it, I gave her my gun. I have always wanted a Sendero 300 RUM, but then lately I checked out the weatherby 30/378, nice gun but expensive to buy ammo and even expensive to reload.
I already have the scoped picked out. I have liked the sendero's from day one when they came out but never could afford one. Then the other day was at cabelas and the salesman showed me a christensen 300 RUM, the only problem was at the time the price tag was $3,999. Went back to cabelas yesterday and seen they had dropped the price of the christensen to $2,999. I really can't afford it and on another forum they didn't have much good to say about the christensen guns and he told me to check out this site. I am very much interested in long range shooting and want a gun that is not going to be a wimp past 400 yards. My longest shot to date is only 200 yards. As per usual when I am looking for a new gun I like to hear other peoples opinions.
It also seems like the sendero 300 RUM is hard to come by these days.
So opinions do you all have on the gun I should buy, I am not rich by no means, as a matter of fact was terminated from my job and the last thing I should be doing is buying a new gun, but next year I want to kill a trophy mule deer buck. I don't own any horses or mules or ATV's, all of my hunting is done on foot. To top it off I had back surgery this summer and my doctor screwed it up, thats one of the reasons I lost my job. So I know I am setting my sites really high, but what the heck you only live once. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Chuck

Welcome freebird63 to LRH. As you will find out...there is a lot of experience here that can help you make good decisions and learn a lot. The problem will be sifting through the facts and wise counsel from the "uninformed" opinions of a few. Go slow and weigh everything and you should have a great experience here.

Now my opinion: There are a lot of good custom rifles out there. Sometimes buying a package rifle with a big name behind it can cost you more. Read up on the experience others have had with Christensen Arms here and on other sites and then form your own opinions accordingly. If you are just getting into LRH, then $2,999 can be a lot to spend on a rifle. For me, buying a lightly used rig makes more sense. It will give you experience with that caliber and the opportunity to do more shooting with the money you saved. It will also help you get an idea of what you like and what you would like to have changed. Another inexpensive route is to start with a Sendero in a caliber you want and then upgrade components when you can afford them.

In other words... start in the shallow end of the pool and work deeper once you have a feel for what you really want to accomplish with your rifle and newly developed skills. Once again, welcome to LRH.

where at in Idaho
im in star
my shooting buddy uses a sendero in 300 win mag its a real shooter
I just picked up one in 7mm i love thoses guns
Where you hunting at
imho the 300 rum does not have that much more then the win mag to make it worth the extra costs for reloading. I think brass is harder to get as well.
the 300 win and 7mm will do nicely for anything in this state.
you can get a new sendero for $1200 that would leave you about $1800 for optics ect.
Or you can go used check out Z idaho
Rem. model 700 300 win mag sendero ,black,fluted barrel,composite stock, comes with a leupold vari-x III 4.5x14--50mm scope.this rifle and scope are in great shape.$1050.00 obo
im no expert and im sure there are alot here that know more than me
but thats what i would do

I live in Boise, I have been hunting unit 39, controlled doe hunts, up until now I have been a meat hunter, well I still am, but I want to get at least one trophy in my life. To me anything from 20"-30" spread is a trophy. This next year I am going to try for unit 40 and if I don't get it then I am going to hunt up real high in unit 39. I am by no means an expert either. I have always loved the sendero 300 RUM, I already know what scope I want. A friend on the Oregon coast has the sendero in the 300 win mag and loves it. But it seems like the sendero is hard to find here in Boise, not quite as bad as federal 215 primers. Sportsmans warehouse had one sendero the last time I was out there and cabelas could order one.
I also want to find a mid priced good range finder, any ideas there????
But just call me grasshopper, I am a sponge and absorb all the info thats sent my way.

Chuck

yea i had to order mine I used the pawn shop in star his price was the best
Ill be putting a leupold vx 3.
I have not hunted in 39 for years to many people
My boy shot his deer in sweet this year.we hunt mostly in 18 my daughter shot her deer and bear there.
Some Huge troghy mulies in that unit Its a draw hunt if you ever put in for it pm me and Ill tell you where they are at.
I like the ziess range finder.

I would think about waiting on buying any new gun if I were you. Just not a good idea in my eyes if you are with out work, with back problems, and already selling guns that you have now to pay bills. I myself would like several new rifles that I would like to have or builld, just not a good time right now. You already have a 300 rsaum that would work fine out to what you are asking, and it is payed for. Walking on foot with back problems with a rifle that is of the size of the sendero would not be a good idea if you ask me. Use the rifle that you already have, and worry about something else when times get better. Just my $0.02. oldfamily

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.