Am I using the right primers…

next time look at sammi specs for chamber and case length. there is typically 15 thou MIN diff and typically MUCH MORE like 40.... just to prevent "normal" use from causing the problem.
sinclair sells slugs that go in a shortened case, you close the bolt and reopen. measure and have the ACTUAL NECK LENGTH OF YOUR CHAMBER, now trim based on that number. your carbon ring issue goes away.
SAAMI cartridge specs / drawings downloaded long ago; updated periodically.

I'm skeered to tally all the specialty handloading tools I got already. Dollar total would likely pay for the next $1K plus scope on my wish list. And there's nothin' like visual confirmation that, with MY firearms & personally trimmed brass, all is OK. And there's no guarantee that an individual firearm meets specs. Especially a factory-built one, as opposed to a reputable smith. But being human, even they can make mistakes.

It's good that we have the tools available that Sinclair, Short Action Customs, 21st Century and others - plus excellent stock, action and barrel makers - provide to us. I just can't afford ALL of 'em. ;~D

Having said that, a Teslong equivalent made stateside would be worth 2X to me. But I have zero idea whether that multiple is economically viable and the responsibility for making it happen is way above my pay grade.

I hope your not mixing different brands of cases up. I know that the belted case headspace off the belt but how far are you pushing your shoulders back sounds like to me somehow you had a headspace issue

next time look at sammi specs for chamber and case length. there is typically 15 thou MIN diff and typically MUCH MORE like 40.... just to prevent "normal" use from causing the problem.
sinclair sells slugs that go in a shortened case, you close the bolt and reopen. measure and have the ACTUAL NECK LENGTH OF YOUR CHAMBER, now trim based on that number. your carbon ring issue goes away.
👆 THIS!

SAAMI cartridge specs / drawings downloaded long ago; updated periodically.

I'm skeered to tally all the specialty handloading tools I got already. Dollar total would likely pay for the next $1K plus scope on my wish list. And there's nothin' like visual confirmation that, with MY firearms & personally trimmed brass, all is OK. And there's no guarantee that an individual firearm meets specs. Especially a factory-built one, as opposed to a reputable smith. But being human, even they can make mistakes.

It's good that we have the tools available that Sinclair, Short Action Customs, 21st Century and others - plus excellent stock, action and barrel makers - provide to us. I just can't afford ALL of 'em. ;~D

Having said that, a Teslong equivalent made stateside would be worth 2X to me. But I have zero idea whether that multiple is economically viable and the responsibility for making it happen is way above my pay grade.
you cannot measure with a bore scope, the sinclaor tool is UNDER TWENTY DOLLARS. VISUAL opinion vs and actual MEASUREMENT.

All, thank you for the replies. I appreciate the brain smoke that's gone into this so far.

I believe that some of you have figured it out (I'm under-charged and "detonating"). This Summer I couldn't find any load data at all for these bullets with RL26, so I started really low and started working up. I was very surprised when I got pressure only a couple rounds into my ladder test, but since it looked like I was in an accuracy mode I just went with it. I was feeling rushed because I was holding out to get more Barnes 160 TSX and finally gave up because i was running out of time. Sooo, I stopped at 60.5 grains because I saw slight pressure at 61.5 (even then it seemed odd to me, with the 160TSX my load is 66.0).
To provide additional info that may help reduce variables

I go through each case with Lyman hand tools every other firing (including setting case length back to SAMMI)

My velocities are very low (considering what is advertised for the Absolute Hammers). I chrono'd at 2,860 ….. incredibly slow!

I don't have a specific reason for using my existing primers other than that's what I bought a few thousand of years ago when I was shooting 300 RUM, then 7 RUM, then 300 WM and now on to my 7 RM. I do have access to some other primers, I'll check with my father in law to see what he has.

Assuming he has a variety (which he does), what are some primers that you all would recommend?

And….. since I'm under-charged, I'll have to use the search function to see if anyone has provided load data for the 155 Absolutes with RL26 and start over again (higher presumably).

you cannot measure with a bore scope, the sinclaor tool is UNDER TWENTY DOLLARS. VISUAL opinion vs and actual MEASUREMENT.

You can do as you wish and so can I. Visual observation is hardly 'opinion.' When I use the borescope I SEE whether physical interference exists - or not - between a case trimmed with the method I use and the chamber of a given rifle.
Followed the link another member posted in this thread; the Sinclair tool is presently around $6. I can afford that. ;~) and will likely order a couple, use them & find out what they tell me. Thank you.

Your input and concern are appreciated. I was unaware of (or had forgotten about) the Sinclair tool until you mentioned it. But my britches aren't in a twist over whether you do things the way I do. Thanks for treating me the same.

I also hope other readers of this thread benefit by having the Sinclair tool called to their attention.

Last edited:
All, thank you for the replies. I appreciate the brain smoke that's gone into this so far.

I believe that some of you have figured it out (I'm under-charged and "detonating"). This Summer I couldn't find any load data at all for these bullets with RL26, so I started really low and started working up. I was very surprised when I got pressure only a couple rounds into my ladder test, but since it looked like I was in an accuracy mode I just went with it. I was feeling rushed because I was holding out to get more Barnes 160 TSX and finally gave up because i was running out of time. Sooo, I stopped at 60.5 grains because I saw slight pressure at 61.5 (even then it seemed odd to me, with the 160TSX my load is 66.0).
To provide additional info that may help reduce variables

I go through each case with Lyman hand tools every other firing (including setting case length back to SAMMI)

My velocities are very low (considering what is advertised for the Absolute Hammers). I chrono'd at 2,860 ….. incredibly slow!

I don't have a specific reason for using my existing primers other than that's what I bought a few thousand of years ago when I was shooting 300 RUM, then 7 RUM, then 300 WM and now on to my 7 RM. I do have access to some other primers, I'll check with my father in law to see what he has.

Assuming he has a variety (which he does), what are some primers that you all would recommend?

And….. since I'm under-charged, I'll have to use the search function to see if anyone has provided load data for the 155 Absolutes with RL26 and start over again (higher presumably).
There is hammer reloading data available on this forum try a search

Is the rifle ok?
Can it be repaired?
Too light of a load is about as bad as too high a load and sometimes lessons in life are expensive.
Your experience helps others to not make the same mistake hopefully

Last edited:
Rifle is fine now, I had to order and install a new firing pin assembly

I searched briefly for load data but I'm on my phone and am not seeing what I'm looking for. I'll try again tomorrow on my computer.

Rifle is fine now, I had to order and install a new firing pin assembly

I searched briefly for load data but I'm on my phone and am not seeing what I'm looking for. I'll try again tomorrow on my computer.
Search this forum and also the Hammertime forum

no need to change primers, its a magnum and you are using mag primers.
do not size to sammi specs...you will shortly trash your brass.
size and trim for your chamber. ts what hand loading is all about,,,
doing whats right for YOUR RIFLE.
do a search on sizing for your gun/rifle/chamber

i just got a cva optima v2 took it out to shoot today fired twice came home to cleaned took out firing pin i can get to to screw back in halfway and stops will not turn anymore any suggesting

i just got a cva optima v2 took it out to shoot today fired twice came home to cleaned took out firing pin i can get to to screw back in halfway and stops will not turn anymore any suggesting
In the menu post this question in the gunsmithing forum you should get a response