Am I downgrading in binos?

WanderingGoatie

I currently use some vortex razor hd 8x42s for archery elk and Midwest whitetail hunting.

As I was prepping last elk season I pulled my binos out of my bino pack to find the glue holding the rubber around the eye cups had failed. At that point I had only owned them about a year, and though usable, I was frustrated. They're the 5th of 7 vortex items I've owned that have had some sort of failure. I'm done with vortex. I'm sick of game time failures.

I found what I felt was a good deal on some Swarovski cl companions 8x30 and we all know they make a good product.

My question is:
Would I be trading down? I don't have a chance to compare side by side.

Would you be trading down going from Vortex to Swaro? Are you serious? That would be like saying your trading down getting rid of a mossberg or savage and going to a Rem 700 or Weatherby MkV. I've looked thru many Vortex products and they aren't even in the same class as ANY Swaro or Zeiss. IMH but well experienced O

Would you be trading down going from Vortex to Swaro? Are you serious? That would be like saying your trading down getting rid of a mossberg or savage and going to a Rem 700 or Weatherby MkV. I've looked thru many Vortex products and they aren't even in the same class as ANY Swaro or Zeiss. IMH but well experienced O
Highest tier vortex to lower tier of swaro. The vortex is 8x42 and the swaros are 8x30. Price point is close so I just feel like there has to be some give somewhere in light gathering or something. I'm just terrible with buyers remorse.

Highest tier vortex to lower tier of swaro. The vortex is 8x42 and the swaros are 8x30. Price point is close so I just feel like there has to be some give somewhere in light gathering or something. I'm just terrible with buyers remorse.
You will probably still see better in low light with the Swaros. I have had a few Vortex optics and still own a Razor HD spotter and none of them come close to my Swaros.

Swaro is better glass even their lower end if you can call it that. Just because your going down a 1.25 MM in light your eye can take in. If equal objective no question Swaro is better glass IME, and again no way would I commit without comparing.

I'm done with vortex as well. I have a razor spotting scope that's it. I'll use it for the next 3-4 years and when it's replaced that's it. I wouldn't touch a scope. The razor 2s weren't bad, the 3's... they are out of their mind. The rest are trash imo. I got plenty of experience. I'd make that swap any day.

I have a whole slew of Vortex bins and scopes. Only ever had trouble with one of their red dots. That said you'll be very happy with those new Swaros. I've lost count of the bino's I have from low cost to high end. There are some amazingly good low cost bino's, but your conditions will dictate what works for you.

I currently use some vortex razor hd 8x42s for archery elk and Midwest whitetail hunting.

As I was prepping last elk season I pulled my binos out of my bino pack to find the glue holding the rubber around the eye cups had failed. At that point I had only owned them about a year, and though usable, I was frustrated. They're the 5th of 7 vortex items I've owned that have had some sort of failure. I'm done with vortex. I'm sick of game time failures.

I found what I felt was a good deal on some Swarovski cl companions 8x30 and we all know they make a good product.

My question is:
Would I be trading down? I don't have a chance to compare side by side.
No, you won't be downgrading. The better glass will put you at least on equal terms in low light as compared to the cheaper vortex glass with the 42mm OBJ

Personally, before you throw the money down I'd say find someplace you can look at and thru some 40-50mm obj Leupold binos.

That being said the 30mm OBJ will make for a much more compact set of glasses but at long range I like every advantage I can get.

I can also recommend looking at Trijicon glasses. Seems like every PH I know in Africa these days is using Leupold, Swar, or Trijicon. There are some deals to be had right now on Trijicon as well on some of their leftover stock of discontinued Bino's.

WOW Post should have a HEADING "Let's Trash Vortex"
Having a hard time seeing posts like this on products.
Especially on LRH with the group of quality people we have on this forum.
I have Vortex. Swaro, Zeiss, Nikon, Leupold, NF,. I could find faults in each and every one, but also a many good qualities with each one.
I would not just follow the negative. It is so easy to follow the group with negative info.
Vortex may have some issues, but they have a 100% Guarantee. One of the BEST in the market and GREAT customer service.
They are also some of the best products on the market per reviews and in shooting competitions. If you have an issue bring it up to VORTEX and see what they do to rectify the issue before trashing their products. This goes for any manufacture. If you a have an issue take it with the manufacture and then post the results.
LRH Members we are much better than this!

Last edited:
I have Vortex. Swaro, Zeiss, Nikon, Leupold, NF,. I could find faults in each and every one, but also a many good qualities with each one.
I would not just follow the negative. It is so easy to follow the group with negative info.
Vortex may have some issues, but they have a 100% Guarantee. One of the BEST in the market and GREAT customer service.
They are also some of the best products on the market per reviews and in shooting competitions. If you have an issue bring it up to VORTEX and see what they do to rectify the issue before trashing their products. This goes for any manufacture. If you a have an issue take it with the manufacture and then post the results.
I didn't say that vortex hasn't stood behind their product for each warranty claim. Im also saying I have spent a lot of $ on their products. In my experience I've just had a better time in the field without broken items when I need them most. Period. This wasn't supposed to be some kind of poo flinging contest.

Do you have an affiliation or just a strong affinity to vortex?

Len,
Not trying to just purposely trash vortex. However, outside of the razor line IMO they fall short. Since we are talking razor swaro. Pretty easy for me. I've dabbled with a few lines or assisted with others. I find you need the warranty... trust me I wanted a few pst to work out. Buy once cry once proved right though.

Personally I appreciate people giving their honest opinion when products we buy fail us.

3 of 5 Vortex scopes I bought either would not zero at all or would not hold zero. Yes they had great customer service but over the course of 2 years all but one including 3 of the repaired/replaced scopes failed.

I was super impressed that in almost every case I had a new scope or repaired scope back in my hands within 10 days of sending them in but it screwed up two hunting seasons and wasted a whole lot of my time and ammo. If I'd read more negative reviews instead of just the glowing "best scope for the money I ever owned" stuff I'd have saved a lot of time, money and aggravation.

Of course I eventually got tired of the problem and sold them all on ebay and replaced them with Leupold, none of which have ever failed since mounting.

Good or bad, honest reviews of these not inexpensive products help us all.

These are just opinions no one said that they are a bad company but some of their products are lacking in areas especially for the price point in our humble OPINIONS. Everyone on this site should be able to freely Express their opinion without being scrutinized for it.
Scrutinized is fine, ragged on for speaking honestly is out of place and inappropriate.