Am I doing something wrong with my Bergers?? Im stumped!!

Thanks Boss,
that's what I plan to do just to see how they perform against the bergers. I want to shoot some distance with the bergers and use them up then ill try the smk's.

Trevor, I'm just trying to get to some details of the problem.
But it seems like you've heard what you wanted to hear..

Trevor
I'm going to take a shot at this and say... after not ready all the reply's. Ok....By seating the bullet(s) back so far your most likely changing the pressure curve just enough to "make it" want to like the bullet and load.. So "possibly" the answer is to change the powder before you replace the bullet(s) out. I'd say an old stand by like H-4831SC might do the trick... with "maybe?" a primer change as well; but that would come later. By the way if your running 2900 fps for LR match rifle with your rig, your well withing the game.
just my .02 Good luck

Trev, you might want to try the 168 VLD in your rifle. i think they will work better at the FPS your wanting, especialy if most of your shooting is less than 1000 yd. and tak mikecr with a grain of salt, your on the right path, just need to fine tune the SPS. I've built several rifles using the SPS platform and all "are capable" of extreme accuracy. besides, it's fun to develop the load that YOU can make work.

Trevor
I'm going to take a shot at this and say... after not ready all the reply's. Ok....By seating the bullet(s) back so far your most likely changing the pressure curve just enough to "make it" want to like the bullet and load.. So "possibly" the answer is to change the powder before you replace the bullet(s) out. I'd say an old stand by like H-4831SC might do the trick... with "maybe?" a primer change as well; but that would come later. By the way if your running 2900 fps for LR match rifle with your rig, your well withing the game.
just my .02 Good luck

Thanks for the reply 436. I am not against trying a differnt powder. I've just heard everyone sayin that the H4350 is best for the 300wsm and since im pretty new to this I was just going with what everyone considered to be the "standard" choice for this caliber. I'll try some of the powder you suggested and see what happens with it.
Thanks

Trevor, I am not using the 210 bergers ,,yet ,,but my savage likes the the 175 and the 190 gr. bergers. Also I have had better luck with standard primers, for powders ,, RL 19 and RL 17 are working well, you can also email berger and tell them what bullets and powders you are using and they will send you load data minimum and maximun loads.
Good luck and hey ain't shootin fuunnn?

Travis,
H-4350 is a very good powder, but it may not want to do its best with your case volume do to having to seat the bullet(s) so deep for accuracy. I've shot a .300 RSAUM 29 inch barrel for a few years in F/Class. It servied me well at Raton and other matches. The case is very similar to yours; I just happen to like the Rem case design a little better. Anyway H-4831SC worked like a champ in it at 1k; using the 190gr Sierra Mk.... running at a cool 2900 fps and accuracy was outstanding! There are newer powders and a few older ones that offer a few nice surprising pressure curves…. You and powder, have a long ways to go yet, that's what makes it fun.

Travis,
H-4350 is a very good powder, but it may not want to do its best with your case volume do to having to seat the bullet(s) so deep for accuracy. I've shot a .300 RSAUM 29 inch barrel for a few years in F/Class. It servied me well at Raton and other matches. The case is very similar to yours; I just happen to like the Rem case design a little better. Anyway H-4831SC worked like a champ in it at 1k; using the 190gr Sierra Mk.... running at a cool 2900 fps and accuracy was outstanding! There are newer powders and a few older ones that offer a few nice surprising pressure curves…. You and powder, have a long ways to go yet, that's what makes it fun.

Thanks again for the reply and the help. Its nice when people respond to your thread with a answer, but its alot better when someone replies with an answer and also tells you why it is the way it is.

I appreciate it.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.