Am I crazy?

Hirschi1

I have always wanted a 6.5-284 for a mountain hunting rifle (Deer, Elk, and Sheep). The action I have to build is a Savage short with a detachable magazine. The Maximum coal in my magazine is 2.998". The Berger manual coal of the 140 gr Hunting vld is 3.228". Is it possible to just seat the bullet deeper and build the barrel with a shorter jump to the lands? If I can what disadvantages will come with this setup? Would it just be better to build a 260 rem?

"Shoot Straight"
Steve

The primeary disadvantage will be that the extra case capacity taken up by the bullet will limit how hard you can push it in terms of maximizing velocity by limiting the case capacity itself. It's not much but can effect tuning and cost some fps. All in all not a big deal but with the vlds in that case I would generally run a long action and seat bullets out longer. That or forget about the mag use it as a single shot and seat out as far as you would like. With the 260 you get some more flexibility but sacrifice case capacity and fps. I have had a bit of difficulty running the vld in mag length 260 I solved that by going to the amax. That said if you are chambering a new barrel from scratch call pt&g and I am sure they can come up with a reamer spec to get yu what you need in the short out of the 6.5 284.

The primeary disadvantage will be that the extra case capacity taken up by the bullet will limit how hard you can push it in terms of maximizing velocity by limiting the case capacity itself. It's not much but can effect tuning and cost some fps. All in all not a big deal but with the vlds in that case I would generally run a long action and seat bullets out longer. That or forget about the mag use it as a single shot and seat out as far as you would like. With the 260 you get some more flexibility but sacrifice case capacity and fps. I have had a bit of difficulty running the vld in mag length 260 I solved that by going to the amax. That said if you are chambering a new barrel from scratch call pt&g and I am sure they can come up with a reamer spec to get yu what you need in the short out of the 6.5 284.

So it can be done and be a good shooter as well! As far as Tuning, what are refering too?
Steve

Yes it can be done with the right reamer spec. Generally the vld will want to be seated close to the lands. So a reamer with a shorter throat may accomplish that and still preserve your ability to fit to mag length. Don't use the same loads as those for the longer oal as the lesser case capacity will likely increases pressures. Go a few grains less and build up. Sometimes the vlds will be just fine with a big jump ie a regular reamer print set to mag length but I haven't had much luck with it... As far as tunin I am talking about seating depth tuning. If you're searing to mag length you just loose a lot of optionally in and out to find the sweet spot that your gun likes. You can go in more but again you're eating up more capacity and after a point I wouldn't recommend it much. Again this is just with the vld shoot an amax or a ballistic tip and you'll probably be just fine with a short action and a regular reamer. If you aren't we'd to that bullet you have a lot more felxability. I like the vlds but only use them where I have the option to really play with setting depth in and out.

I have always wanted a 6.5-284 for a mountain hunting rifle (Deer, Elk, and Sheep). The action I have to build is a Savage short with a detachable magazine. The Maximum coal in my magazine is 2.998". The Berger manual coal of the 140 gr Hunting vld is 3.228". Is it possible to just seat the bullet deeper and build the barrel with a shorter jump to the lands? If I can what disadvantages will come with this setup? Would it just be better to build a 260 rem?

"Shoot Straight"
Steve

To answer your title question, yes you are, why build something with that limitation right off the batch on your dream chambering. :D:):rolleyes::cool:gun)

IIWY, sell the action or save the action for future projects (believe me it won't be your last) and get an action that will accommodate the ideal COAL for your dream 6.5x284 without the noted disadvantages, build it right the 1st time and you'll be much happier ... but that just me. lightbulb

To answer your title question, yes you are, why build something with that limitation right off the batch on your dream chambering. :D:):rolleyes::cool:gun)

IIWY, sell the action or save the action for future projects (believe me it won't be your last) and get an action that will accommodate the ideal COAL for your dream 6.5x284 without the noted disadvantages, build it right the 1st time and you'll be much happier ... but that just me. lightbulb

this

http://www.longrangehunting.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Not crazy-just leaving the over the counter zone. Best advice is don't settle for less than you want. Decide what that is, then do it. Stay patient and you'll be netter off than a piece by piece approach.

johninok,

Thank you for your posts and advise Guys. You have been good help.

I have spoke with Shelin. They would like me to put together 3 dummy rounds to send to them, and they will build the barrel using them (so I have the ability to jamb or jump the load). Berger gave me a minimum and maximum lengths for best results. They tell me the closer to minimum I settle with I will see only a drop of FPS.

I have changed my plan. I am going with stick with the same action, however I will build a new magazine box with an inside measurement of 3.334". I'm going to scrap the detachable clip, and go with the blind magazine. This will help in two areas; 1, increase the COAL, and 2, help cut down on the weight of the rifle by a few ounces. This plan will allow the full length of 3.228" COAL.

"Shoot Straight"
Steve

Having worked with a few 6.5-284's with several different lots of the 140 Berger and JLK VLD's, you could likely get away with a COAL of 3.12" minimum without trading off the typical velocities in the range of 2975FPS +/- 50FPS out of a 24/26" barrel. This would give the ability to seat the bullet at, to .1" into the lands with Lapua brass and cover the variation in bullet dimensions. IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.