Always fun taking young people shooting

Bman940

One of my son's friends is in the process of finishing up Gunsmith School and training for the Navy Seal PST test. I talked him into coming to the range with me for a break between work, school and working out. The only thing I forgot to tell him is to not outshoot your host with his own rifle! He shot a 4 shot group of .34 MOA, probably would have been smaller if I didn't make him take that 4th shot to prove the first 3 weren't a fluke! An awesome young man and a heck of a shooter. The best my Bergara B-14 HMR 6.5 CM, Meopta MeoStar 3-12x56 and Hornady ELD-X have ever done.

DSC_0133%202.jpg

Shoot hang the target by the rifle, you don't have to tell people you didn't shoot it lol. And yes it is enjoyable to be around good people. Be it young or old. Sounds like you had a great time.

LOL, I took a pic and sent it to my buddies taking credit for such good shooting but at the end of the day, they all know better. Give credit where it's due. Certainly fun to watch someone shoot so well.

LOL, I took a pic and sent it to my buddies taking credit for such good shooting but at the end of the day, they all know better. Give credit where it's due. Certainly fun to watch someone shoot so well.

Way to go Bman. That's how we keep this sport and traditions alive, by teaching the new generations, although some times they out shoot us Lol. Lots of times the grasshopper beats the master.

The last couple of years I've been taking my Godson shooting and on our hunting trips to observe and learn, and of course to have fun.

I started him with a pellet about 4 years ago, a year later with a .22 and now he shoots my AR in .223 and my Rem 700 in 7mm-08. It's always fun to take him out to the range and the field.

Here is a picture of him shooting my Rem 700 in 7mm-08 and the target he shot at 200m, and this was his first time shoting something bigger than the .223 AR.

The other is an image of him and one of the 7 rabbits he got that weekend when we were hunting deer last year. His dad forgot to pack him his .22 ammo so he ended hunting them with his Gamo .177 pellet gun, all head shots within 25 yds. I've never eaten so much rabbit in a weekend and they tasted great. He learned how to gut them and clean them, and of course also how to grill them to perfection.

Next year he will go on his first Javelina and Deer hunt. That will be one fun hunting trip.

Attachments

• 20181010_125458_HDR.jpg
    20181010_125458_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 119
  • 20181010_105621.jpg
    20181010_105621.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 128
  • 20181108_172908.jpg
    20181108_172908.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 119
Excellent job. I took out a young man taking a short vacation, in his third year of college twice over the past week and a half. He was able to shoot three competition rifles, and new Valkyrie, at 100 and 50 yards. I had as much fun watching and instructing as I do shooting, possibly more.

Way to go Bman. That's how we keep this sport and traditions alive, by teaching the new generations, although some times they out shoot us Lol. Lots of times the grasshopper beats the master.

The last couple of years I've been taking my Godson shooting and on our hunting trips to observe and learn, and of course to have fun.

I started him with a pellet about 4 years ago, a year later with a .22 and now he shoots my AR in .223 and my Rem 700 in 7mm-08. It's always fun to take him out to the range and the field.

Here is a picture of him shooting my Rem 700 in 7mm-08 and the target he shot at 200m, and this was his first time shoting something bigger than the .223 AR.

The other is an image of him and one of the 7 rabbits he got that weekend when we were hunting deer last year. His dad forgot to pack him his .22 ammo so he ended hunting them with his Gamo .177 pellet gun, all head shots within 25 yds. I've never eaten so much rabbit in a weekend and they tasted great. He learned how to gut them and clean them, and of course also how to grill them to perfection.

Next year he will go on his first Javelina and Deer hunt. That will be one fun hunting trip.

I have always wanted to hunt the desert hare. Really cool. Up north we need dogs and the populations are not as strong in most places. Last time I hunted rabbit was as a young boy with my late father. My uncle is still alive: he has some excellent recipes for hare.

I have always wanted to hunt the desert hare. Really cool. Up north we need dogs and the populations are not as strong in most places. Last time I hunted rabbit was as a young boy with my late father. My uncle is still alive: he has some excellent recipes for hare.

The area where we hunted for deer last year was new to us, we did not get drawn for mulies so we ended there due to some coues deer left over tags. There was this area right next to our campground that was full of them. It is full of prickly pear cactus so they hide there very well. Between my godson and an older nephew they ended with about a dozen rabbits with the pellet gun. I had never seen so many rabbits in a little area. It was a lot if fun.

Core,

I grew up hunting rabbits in the desert, it's tons of fun and also a challenge. They are sneaky and hide very well. They have lots of predators so they are very shy. Lots of hunters use shotguns, spoke them and shoot, but sometimes I like to take the 22, it has an advantage when you see them further away and dont have to be as close as with the shotgun.

My dad showed me how to grill them, he rubbed them with butter or margarine, paprika, italian seasoning and grilled them over mesquite wood. A couple of years ago I marinated them over night with olive oil and Mrs Dash original seasoning and grilled them, they tasted really good and that's how we ate them last year. But you have to be careful not to over cook them or they will end up dry.

If you dont mind sharing some recipes, I'd appreciate it.

My 9yo daughter shooting her 22LR Savage Rascal this weekend. Nailing clays at 40-50yds with boring precision. I tried her on the 6X45 she wants to deer hunt with but the length of pull is too long so another stock is now on order. When she has a gun she is comfortable manipulating she is a machine. With the 22 we started on a rear bag but she wanted to get rid of it, and once she did her skills with the little rifle impressed me for her age and level of training. I think in a couple years she may be shooting 223 in F-Class 600yd...

Attachments

• sophie_shooting.jpg
    sophie_shooting.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 106
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.