Aluminum rod broke off in barrel

tikka270win

Not sure if this is in the right section, sorry if it isnt. Ok so the last time i cleaned out my 270 barrel i was using a hoppes 3 piece aluminum rod. While i was cleaning the patch end of the rod broke off inside the barrel. I ended up using the rest of the rod to push it out. Is there any chance i damaged my barrel? I realize that wasnt the smartest way to remove the end of the rod but i was in a hurry to get it out. Also, is there any way i can check the barrel myself to see if it has been damaged? Thanks ahead of time for any help. This was while i was breaking in the barrel btw.

Not sure if this is in the right section, sorry if it isnt. Ok so the last time i cleaned out my 270 barrel i was using a hoppes 3 piece aluminum rod. While i was cleaning the patch end of the rod broke off inside the barrel. I ended up using the rest of the rod to push it out. Is there any chance i damaged my barrel? I realize that wasnt the smartest way to remove the end of the rod but i was in a hurry to get it out. Also, is there any way i can check the barrel myself to see if it has been damaged? Thanks ahead of time for any help. This was while i was breaking in the barrel btw.
maybe hard to tell without a bore scope. id bet you ok. the worst damage is done with cleaning rods at the crown. i always clean from the breachgun)

Thanks for the fast reply! I wont have the oppurtunity to shoot again until spring. So its been on my mind lol

You should be fine. The aluminum is softer than the barrel steel, assuming you didn't pound on it with a hammer, you shouldn't spend any time worrying about your barrel. BUT, go purchase a one piece cleaning rod and bore guide (look at Dewey rods as an example). Use a good coated rod, I've been told that a bare aluminum rod will pick up grit and can scuff the barrel as you clean. So, use a good coated rod of the correct diameter, so the flex is limited. And use a good bore guide.

AJ

You should be fine. The aluminum is softer than the barrel steel, assuming you didn't pound on it with a hammer, you shouldn't spend any time worrying about your barrel. BUT, go purchase a one piece cleaning rod and bore guide (look at Dewey rods as an example). Use a good coated rod, I've been told that a bare aluminum rod will pick up grit and can scuff the barrel as you clean. So, use a good coated rod of the correct diameter, so the flex is limited. And use a good bore guide.

AJ

I bought a winchester one piece rod to replace it already. I am looking into the tipton bore guide as well. For 10 dollars it seems well worth the money.

first of all I use nothing but one piece rods and a bore guide. I never use aluminum cleaning rods or coated rods as well. I like the burnished stainless steel rods from Pro Shot better than anything else I've ever used. They're stiffer, and the junk will not embed in the surface of the rod. I also never use wire brushes, but will use a nylon one every once in a great while. Most of the time I just use a jag with a very tight patch. Most barrels are messed up from cleaning and not from shooting.
gary

AJ

the real problem with the aluminum is aluminum oxide created as you use the rod. It's very abrasive (as in emery paper). The coating on coated rods will also pick up junk as you use them. There are graphite rods out now that maybe better (I own a couple) but the jury's still out for me. With burnished stainless steel, all I do is wipe the rod everytime I make a pass. Nothing will embed in the hard surface.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.