Aluminum or plastic loading blocks?

JW74

I was curious if there is a preference among everyone here for the aluminum or plastic loading blocks? Thinking more for magnum size cases and above. Seems like the extra weight of aluminum would be good? Just curious.

I see absolutely no advantage of aluminum reloading blocks other than they are "nice". There are some really nice custom wood reloading blocks out there too. If the aesthetics of your reloading blocks are worth the extra cost then then, why not? To me, it doesn't really matter and all of my blocks are boring plastic.

Oddly enough, I have a full set of aluminum & brass funnels even though the $2 RCBS plastic funnel always worked fine. Go figure.

VH, thanks for the reply. I am in the same boat as I have the Lyman aluminum funnel set and really like it. I was curious about aluminum blocks as I found some for $16 on ebay and that seemed pretty cheap. Wasn't sure if those who have them found any benefit.

Having used both(plus wood), IMO, the material of construction is irrelevant, other then appearance. No issues with even 500-450NE. Having the case fit properly in the loading block is important.

With the material not mattering then I think I will save a few bucks and grab the Franklin Arsenal blocks for my 338 Norma. Thanks for the feedback!

While the loading blocks have never really mattered to me as long as they fit well, funnels do. Plastic RCBS seem to build a static charge and not feed powder as easily and often retain a few grains that require a few shakes to get down.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.