altimeter wrist watches

chris matthews

Does any body use these? I have been looking at a Casio for $175- has altimeter,barometer and thermometer. I thought they would be helpful for recording info in shooting log books. Do they work or is there something better?

Chris, Check out www.campmor.com,I believe they this watch for about 89.00.I have thought about getting one of these and teaming it up with a palm pilot with the Horusvision balistic program on it.Any one out there tried this before?

Chris,
my friend Eric has a watch that has those features too. How accurate they are I'm not sure but he said it was 150.00 at wally world. I ordered the Kestrel 4000 for twice that yesterday. It has the temp and wind speed too, not to mention a bunch of other stuff I'm sure I'll never use. I'm considering the Horus vision program for the palm pilots to use in the field also. I hinted to my wife my birthday is Aug. 23.

I'll compare Erics to mine but it won't be for over a month until he gets back from the north slope, he leaves tuesday for a four week hitch.

PS. Darryl, if your reading along here.
I gave him one of the two 338-416 Rigby Imp case and he's off to have one built while he's gone. He was like a kid with a new toy when he left.

Hey guys thanks for the repliesand the link-looks like a cool site for more "toys!"
The watch they have is only a barometer and thermometer- no altimeter.
I thought if they worked they would be handy- always with you instead of a separate gadget to forget at home or lose.
If you find out any more let me know.
Chris

I have an older Casio altimiter wristwatch. It is kind of bulky conpared to my Ironman but it works well enough. I find it to be much more sensitive than a barometer. I can watch the digital display click off the meters as I drive up and down hills.
When weather systems come in it responds to those as well.

Chris,
Doesn't it make more sense to pick up a Kestral so you also get wind speed and don't have to carry two pieces of gear? On the other hand, toys are fun...
I use my Kestral when we first set-up to get an idea of the range of windspeed, then put the sucker away and dope, grope, chase and get humiliated by mirage and natural wind indicators.
If I am shooting out home I never worry about temp, altitude, barometric pressure, moon phase, color of my dog's turds or whatever (don't even put that stuff in my record book - temp maybe) - only shoot 700 to 1100 so take it as it comes.
Are you working at the new GA location?
ian

Ian,
Like I mentioned I thought if the watches worked then I would always have it with me. Something like the Kestrel I would leave in the wrong range bag at home or whatever. Being in MO at 900 ft kinda messes up a zero when you go shoot sod poodles at 6000 ft in CO, and temp and the other stuff would be kinda neat info to have.
Unfortunately, I am still in school in Lakewood, CO so I haven't seen the new shop yet. However it is a block away from my dad's shop so I know the area real well. George was nice enough to send me stuff to do for school and should help him get caught up. I talk/email him once or twice a week.
Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts