Alternative to isopropanol in iso/lanolin case lube

I picked a mighty fine time to need to mix up a batch of case lube (1:10 lanolin/isopropanol) and it seems isopropanol is basically hens teeth due to the pandemic. Has anyone experimented with alternative solvents?
Gas line alcohol in the red bottle works great. It's 99% isopropyl alcohol.

Another option is getting lanolin cream and using it on your hands like a lube pad. I smear the surface of the lanolin with my right index finger and smear it on my left palm. Grab 5 -8 cases and roll them between your palms. Size and repeat. Quick wipe of the press handle when im done and on to the next step. Bulk sizing for the dlion i use the spray.

I picked a mighty fine time to need to mix up a batch of case lube (1:10 lanolin/isopropanol) and it seems isopropanol is basically hens teeth due to the pandemic. Has anyone experimented with alternative solvents?
Just go to Walmart, get a Red Bottle of Heet. 95% isopropyl alcohol. Problem solved.

Another option is getting lanolin cream and using it on your hands like a lube pad. I smear the surface of the lanolin with my right index finger and smear it on my left palm. Grab 5 -8 cases and roll them between your palms. Size and repeat. Quick wipe of the press handle when im done and on to the next step. Bulk sizing for the dlion i use the spray.
That actually sounds like a good idea.

That actually sounds like a good idea.

It works pretty well, especially for small batches of 50-100 cases. No waiting for the alcohol to flash and I can keep the lube off the shoulders and out of the necks. Works really well for when case forming gets rowdy. I can go 30-06 to 25-06 in one pass.

I originally started doing this when I bought the wrong kind of lanolin at the co/op store.

Attachments

• 20200607_223537.jpg
    20200607_223537.jpg
    689.3 KB · Views: 129
I know there are several alternatives for case lube, but I never thought of this.
How difficult is it to remove?
I've made it a habit since I started handloading to wipe all cases off with alchohol after sizing. Whether its necessary or not I have always done it. I never worry about a film on my cases after I wipe them off.

Hornady Unique case lube.

The best I have used and easy to wipe off and it is good for your hands.
Thats a lanolin based lubricant as well......but the time it takes to apply is greatly reduced with a spray application the op is trying to figure out. I used Hornady one shot, but then saw how difficult it is to remove after sizing. I refuse to sonic clean, and tumbling media just clung to it. Switched to unique......easier cleanup did equal job lubing brass, tumbler removed lube 100% but was slow. Switched to lanolin mixed with heet, quick application, does a better job lubing, trust me you feel how easy it is to size with the lan/heet. Lube one with unique right after the lanolin and it takes way more force. Just my experience.

I know there are several alternatives for case lube, but I never thought of this.
How difficult is it to remove?
No harder than any other lube. It is easier than lanolin.

Thats (Unique) a lanolin based lubricant as well......
Nope. It is a mixture, but it is mostly mink oil. It even smells the same. The old tubs used to even mention that you could use it on your shoes...just like mink oil.

I used Hornady one shot, but then saw how difficult it is to remove after sizing.
One Shot is a lanolin base.

I use walnut or pecan in my tumbler, so it takes the mink oil off with no drama.

I use the HEET/Lanolin for 223/556 brass because it is easier to lube in bulk. I just put about 100 cases at a time in a gallon freezer bag and put in a couple squirts of the lanolin mixture and a little goes a long way. Just roll the brass around in the bag till all are well coated...

But for my larger precision rifle cases, it has to be the mink oil.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts