Altering/Melting an Ammo Box for a 338 Lapua Case

C.O. Shooter

1346328D-A19C-4913-9BA8-0E58524D4F4A.jpeg
Has anyone altered a plastic ammo box. Looking to extend the lid upwards by 1/4". Trying to store long 338 Lapua rounds.

They fit in my 50 round box, but this one was for inside my gun case. I also have the MTM J-20-LLD, but the case only goes 3/4 of the way down. The LLD is made so the bullet tips are stored down. Probably end up using those and not closing them all the way.

Last edited:
I have the exact same problem!
Had a 6.5 wsm barrel throated long, now they dont fit my WSM ammo box.
Im my case I can use a magnum box with a spacer under the case so I can access the case neck for loading/funneling powder.

But I have a heat gun, I might try to load some dummy rounds(without primer and powder!!) very long and slowly heat the lid and slowly close it.

Not a bad idea.

I am thinking, take a dowel rod, sand it down to the diameter of a case, put the LLD in **** near boiling water, and press the rod into the case. Might stretch it enough to accept the rest of the case.

I fully expected that the box closing latch will not close after heating the box.

I might try to drill small holes in the top. My scenario only calls for less than 1/8" protrusion.

I became aware of my situation last nite so I haven't had time to experiment yet. The box I'm using is a spare so I don't mind it getting Hillary'd out.

Well this worked! I got 5/8" dowel rods and cut them. Worked them in a little and then pushed them all the way down after warming them up. I did two ammo boxes by staggering them. Then thought, let's try a full box. Preliminary test on the staggered ammo box, the .338 case dropped all the way to the bottom! Great Success! Test again in the morning and see if anything changes.

DB6C2150-2F7A-4BAD-ADCA-C6D95FA69041.jpeg
CAAD6A33-F394-4FDE-963E-4B42B09EDF24.jpeg
A3C3BF3C-A5F2-47B9-9C28-477D806D113D.jpeg

Yea not so good! The plastic shrunk back on a few of the holes, kinda figured. The box I staggered worked better than the full box. I made it work for my trip though. Back to the drawing board when I get home.

Never know till you try.

I'm constantly needing something that isn't made or hard to find and end up hillbilly engineering stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.