Alpine Supreme Mauser build

Owned many mausers, including Parker Hale, Santa Barbara, Alpine, JC Higgins (one of the best), and, of course, military mausers. Favorite chamberings were 30-06 Improved, 338-06, and 270. The actions can never be as smooth and the more modern actions but I have never found that a hindrance. I preferred them with the traditional hunting stocks which were very slim and light. Timmy triggers worked well in them, either with safety or without. I have used magnum conversions, particularly .308 Norma, 7 Mag. and didn't like either one. I prefer more modern actions with magnums, probably because I go with toothpick style stocks on my mausers. There are better rifles around but nothing says classic more than a 98 style Mauser. It has more to do with who you are than what does the job best.

I had a 6.5 284 on a kar 98 small ring ,no feeding problems at all . It was built by a old smith in the 80,s. Most of the smiths that understood the mauser are long gone. Every time I sell a 98 style I'm always looking for another one , owned 30 or so from 22-50 to 300 win, the 22-243 middlestead was the the most fun to shoot.

Hi All,
I have a commercial Mauser action based rifle that I'd like to make into something. Its got a broken stock (how I got it) but I'd also like to get it rebarreled to something with better reach (it is currently chambered in 308.) I am envisioning something of a range gun that is still useable as a hunting gun if needed. Thinking 284 win.
1. Is it worth doing? The rifle is an Alpine Supreme made by Firearms Co in England and imported by AD Heller. From what I've been able to research I have either a Santa Barbara or an FN commercial mauser action from post 1965. I don't see any marks on the receiver to indicate a maker. There is a nice Timney trigger already installed and altogether it seems like a waste throwing it away.
2. Any recommendations for how I get the barrel work done? I could send it in to a barrel maker like Shaw or McGowen, or I could go through a gunsmith. Any recommended gunsmiths near Phoenix?
3. Any stock recommendations for a Mauser? Seems like the choices are somewhat limited.

Thanks!
Chamber it in 308 Norma Magnum. It was designed to be the longest cartridge to fit mauser action. You can easily fireform 300 winmag in you FL die.

I had a 6.5 284 on a kar 98 small ring ,no feeding problems at all . It was built by a old smith in the 80,s. Most of the smiths that understood the mauser are long gone. Every time I sell a 98 style I'm always looking for another one , owned 30 or so from 22-50 to 300 win, the 22-243 middlestead was the the most fun to shoot.
How right you are on the number of gunsmiths who understand the working of the 98. One who is outstanding in this regard is Dale Hegstrom of Little Crow Gunworks in Spicer MN, the man behind the WFT trimmer. He knows 98's as well as other actions inside and out. He has put several rifles together for me and ALL have featured outstanding accuracy.

Most people don't know that Charles Daily made a true left hand action. I built one in a 25-06 for my sons college graduation and when remington bought them out they called it the model 798, but never cataloged it in a left hand model , if one can find a remington model 798 their possibly the best ever made only exception may be the G3340 action .

Most people don't know that Charles Daily made a true left hand action. I built one in a 25-06 for my sons college graduation and when remington bought them out they called it the model 798, but never cataloged it in a left hand model , if one can find a remington model 798 their possibly the best ever made only exception may be the G3340 action .
Interarms imported some commercial '98s in left hand also, long before Chas. Daly put his name on 'um. As for the G33/40, produced in the Czech Brno arms plant after Germany invaded. It was a 'lightened' version of the '98 carbine intended for "mountain troops". It has numerous 'lightening cuts' to make the carbine more 'portable', and the length was the same as the VZ33. Some of the best heat treated Mauser '98s have come from the Brno arms plant, but it should be remembered these were made during the war, so.... I use many '98s of various manufacture for personal builds (I like classic hunting rifles) and a few clients provide a '98 action. This past spring I sent a dozen actions, mostly my personal, several for clients to be re-carburized by Blanchard metal Processing in Salt Lake City. They have been doing this work for many years and do a heck of a job, and done to 'modern' standards. It's just too much work to custom (wood) stock and then find the lug abutments have set back. And, I have seen a few that did set back (that weren't re-carburized).