Alpine Supreme Mauser build

Hi All,
I have a commercial Mauser action based rifle that I'd like to make into something. Its got a broken stock (how I got it) but I'd also like to get it rebarreled to something with better reach (it is currently chambered in 308.) I am envisioning something of a range gun that is still useable as a hunting gun if needed. Thinking 284 win.
1. Is it worth doing? The rifle is an Alpine Supreme made by Firearms Co in England and imported by AD Heller. From what I've been able to research I have either a Santa Barbara or an FN commercial mauser action from post 1965. I don't see any marks on the receiver to indicate a maker. There is a nice Timney trigger already installed and altogether it seems like a waste throwing it away.
2. Any recommendations for how I get the barrel work done? I could send it in to a barrel maker like Shaw or McGowen, or I could go through a gunsmith. Any recommended gunsmiths near Phoenix?
3. Any stock recommendations for a Mauser? Seems like the choices are somewhat limited.

Thanks!
Match Armorers Shop. Springfield, CO
719-353-2515

Hi All,
I have a commercial Mauser action based rifle that I'd like to make into something. Its got a broken stock (how I got it) but I'd also like to get it rebarreled to something with better reach (it is currently chambered in 308.) I am envisioning something of a range gun that is still useable as a hunting gun if needed. Thinking 284 win.
1. Is it worth doing? The rifle is an Alpine Supreme made by Firearms Co in England and imported by AD Heller. From what I've been able to research I have either a Santa Barbara or an FN commercial mauser action from post 1965. I don't see any marks on the receiver to indicate a maker. There is a nice Timney trigger already installed and altogether it seems like a waste throwing it away.
2. Any recommendations for how I get the barrel work done? I could send it in to a barrel maker like Shaw or McGowen, or I could go through a gunsmith. Any recommended gunsmiths near Phoenix?
3. Any stock recommendations for a Mauser? Seems like the choices are somewhat limited.

Thanks!
I highly recommend Danny Pedersen, of Classic Barrels & Gun Works. He's on Grove Street in Prescott, right up the road from Phoenix. I have a couple of rifles that I had built years ago by the late Fred Wells, and Danny made the barrels for both. They are cut rifled barrels, which is his specialty. He was working in Fred's shop at the time, and he has been in his own shop for many years. The guy's work is flawless, and my barrels both shoot extremely well. He is very familiar with Mauser actions, since that is mostly what Fred was building his rifles on. For stockmakers, look up bob Schzweda, also in Prescott. He did the stock work for these same two rifles, as he was also employed by Fred at the time. He's in Prescott Valley. He also does beautiful work.

There's nothing wrong with a good 98 type Mauser action if its FN it will have the Belgium crown and proof marks unless polished off some of the Santa Barbara action where less desirable I'm not sure why but my dad was a custom gun builder and shyed away from them check for set back on the locking lugs and if none it's probably ok there then check for how smooth it cycles Douglas will also barrel it and square the receiver ring if you do a 284 you may need too open the rails a bit no big deal but it will feed better if done right get a Boyd's laminate glass it float the barrel you can build a nice shooter barrel job and stock for under a grand
IMO ALL GOOD!!

Mauser '98s are best left a "standard" chambering, like .30/06, .308 family or 8 x 57/7x57/6.5 x 55. Others are doable, at a steep cost.
My JC Higgins Belgium FN Mauser is in 270 win. But for easy conversion I figured a 280 rem would be the easiest. I'm fairly certain with RL26 I can get a 180 gr Berger or ELDM running 2800 fps.

Commercial Mausers are the "cat's meow" when it comes to building a rifle. There's tons of aftermarket and the possibilities are endless. Stocks from Boyds and used stocks from online for refurbishing, barrels forever, accessories and adaptations abound. My latest and best example: FN Mauser (.284 Win) bought online with what turned out to be a trashed but salvageable stock... new and used replacement parts as required from Midwest Gunworks, Numrich Arms... the list is long if you look around.
P8180001.JPGP8180002.JPGP8180004.JPGP8180005.JPGP8180006.JPGP8180010.JPGP8180013.JPG

So it seems like 284 win is considered a little too fat to function cleanly? I would be fine with a 280ai, although I guess the way that case is blown out might cause issues. 280 rem? I guess I could step it down to a 6.5 too (avoiding 270 as I have a nice 270 already).
Whichever stock I go with is going to need to be modified to work with a side safety.
Commercial Mausers are the "cat's meow" when it comes to building a rifle. There's tons of aftermarket and the possibilities are endless. Stocks from Boyds and used stocks from online for refurbishing, barrels forever, accessories and adaptations abound. My latest and best example: FN Mauser (.284 Win) bought online with what turned out to be a trashed but salvageable stock... new and used replacement parts as required from Midwest Gunworks, Numrich Arms... the list is long if you look around.
Nice! Did the 284 win have anything done to it to get it to feed? Seems like general consensus from this thread has been steer away from it because its slightly too fat.
I highly recommend Danny Pedersen, of Classic Barrels & Gun Works. He's on Grove Street in Prescott, right up the road from Phoenix. I have a couple of rifles that I had built years ago by the late Fred Wells, and Danny made the barrels for both. They are cut rifled barrels, which is his specialty. He was working in Fred's shop at the time, and he has been in his own shop for many years. The guy's work is flawless, and my barrels both shoot extremely well. He is very familiar with Mauser actions, since that is mostly what Fred was building his rifles on. For stockmakers, look up bob Schzweda, also in Prescott. He did the stock work for these same two rifles, as he was also employed by Fred at the time. He's in Prescott Valley. He also does beautiful work.
Excellent, Prescott works out well for me since I'm up there every few weekends. Thanks.
Shroud and bolt scream Santa Barbara. Bottom metal looks like a cheap aftermarket. The SB bottom metal is an excellent piece with a slightly longer front tang and bow release.

How about a .280 Rem or 7x57? Make sure the mag is at least 3.350" and not blocked off for the .308.

And yes, find a Mauser 'smith.

A B&C stock would work just fine. They run about 2.25lbs.

P.S. 6.5x55!
Now that you bring it up, yea I bet this an aftermarket bottom metal. I think whoever had this timney trigger installed probably swapped the bottom metal. It is opened all the way up though, so no worries there.

Thanks for all the responses, this has been great.

I have a Santa Barbara in 7 mm Rem Mag. Great shooter, but my old shoulders don't like magnum recoil any longer.

My recommendation for yours would be to look at 7X57 or 6.5X55, depending on what you plan to shoot it at. Creedmoor is also possible if you don't mind a man bun.

Nice! I've used Mark Xs, Santa Barbaras, 1908 & 1909 Argentines as well as 1910 & 1936 Mexicans. All made fine rifles.

Jim Kobe in Minnesota does excellent Mauser work. I used to use Harry McGowen until his passing.

Jim's email is (or was) Jkob60msn.com.
Carlos knows what he's talking about same here 1909 Argentine large ring small ring 1924 large ring med length FN commercial Belgium made military Belgium made the list gos on Weatherby use to use FN actions on there early rifles fine custom rifles we're made in the day when gunsmiths were gunsmiths my dad was a master I have all mentioned above then some built from the ground up

I've built many on Mauser actions:
22-250 p-dog gun
243 p-dog
308 p-dog
25-06 p-dog
7mm-08 F-class
Doing another right now in a 338-06, Pac Nor barrel with barrel nut.
Who made the barrel nut for you? I haven't seen any out there yet. TIA

Carlos knows what he's talking about same here 1909 Argentine large ring small ring 1924 large ring med length FN commercial Belgium made military Belgium made the list gos on Weatherby use to use FN actions on there early rifles fine custom rifles we're made in the day when gunsmiths were gunsmiths my dad was a master I have all mentioned above then some built from the ground up
That's about the only action I failed to get my paws on. Desperately wanted one for a .284 build but it just never happened.

Recent Posts