Alpine Supreme Mauser build

Aloeus

Hi All,
I have a commercial Mauser action based rifle that I'd like to make into something. Its got a broken stock (how I got it) but I'd also like to get it rebarreled to something with better reach (it is currently chambered in 308.) I am envisioning something of a range gun that is still useable as a hunting gun if needed. Thinking 284 win.
1. Is it worth doing? The rifle is an Alpine Supreme made by Firearms Co in England and imported by AD Heller. From what I've been able to research I have either a Santa Barbara or an FN commercial mauser action from post 1965. I don't see any marks on the receiver to indicate a maker. There is a nice Timney trigger already installed and altogether it seems like a waste throwing it away.
2. Any recommendations for how I get the barrel work done? I could send it in to a barrel maker like Shaw or McGowen, or I could go through a gunsmith. Any recommended gunsmiths near Phoenix?
3. Any stock recommendations for a Mauser? Seems like the choices are somewhat limited.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20210919_144218199.jpg
    IMG_20210919_144218199.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 400
  • IMG_20210919_144331418.jpg
    IMG_20210919_144331418.jpg
    479.1 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_20210919_145238326.jpg
    IMG_20210919_145238326.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 293
1: Whether it's worth it or not is really up to you. It's a good action though many would consider it dated. I have a commercial Mauser waiting for me to make up my mind.
2: Yeah ER Shaw could do it. They also could work the action for a magnum cartridge. I'd probably go with a 7mm RM or the 284 Win would be great.
3: Stock choices are limited. Maybe a McMillan or a B&C with aluminum bedding block.

If the receiver is a Santa Barbara it will be marked on the left side of the tang, "Spain" or "Made in Spain".. What does the bottom metal look like? Is the bottom metal all steel? You are correct, there are few stock options for '98s. Boyds makes a 'drop-in' , but they are just that, commercial made drop-in, meaning nothing special. There are pre-inletted stocks available, but they require fitting and finishing. As for pre-inlets, I'd avoid Richards' Micro-Fit, pretty pics but trashy wood.

If the receiver is a Santa Barbara it will be marked on the left side of the tang, "Spain" or "Made in Spain".. What does the bottom metal look like? Is the bottom metal all steel? You are correct, there are few stock options for '98s. Boyds makes a 'drop-in' , but they are just that, commercial made drop-in, meaning nothing special. There are pre-inletted stocks available, but they require fitting and finishing. As for pre-inlets, I'd avoid Richards' Micro-Fit, pretty pics but trashy wood.
There's nothing wrong with a good 98 type Mauser action if its FN it will have the Belgium crown and proof marks unless polished off some of the Santa Barbara action where less desirable I'm not sure why but my dad was a custom gun builder and shyed away from them check for set back on the locking lugs and if none it's probably ok there then check for how smooth it cycles Douglas will also barrel it and square the receiver ring if you do a 284 you may need too open the rails a bit no big deal but it will feed better if done right get a Boyd's laminate glass it float the barrel you can build a nice shooter barrel job and stock for under a grand

Hi All,
I have a commercial Mauser action based rifle that I'd like to make into something. Its got a broken stock (how I got it) but I'd also like to get it rebarreled to something with better reach (it is currently chambered in 308.) I am envisioning something of a range gun that is still useable as a hunting gun if needed. Thinking 284 win.
1. Is it worth doing? The rifle is an Alpine Supreme made by Firearms Co in England and imported by AD Heller. From what I've been able to research I have either a Santa Barbara or an FN commercial mauser action from post 1965. I don't see any marks on the receiver to indicate a maker. There is a nice Timney trigger already installed and altogether it seems like a waste throwing it away.
2. Any recommendations for how I get the barrel work done? I could send it in to a barrel maker like Shaw or McGowen, or I could go through a gunsmith. Any recommended gunsmiths near Phoenix?
3. Any stock recommendations for a Mauser? Seems like the choices are somewhat limited.

Thanks!
I'd check the twist on it first. A 308 Win is a good hunting round. If it's 1-10 you could shoot heavies and seat out long with the right throat.

Bottom metal is steel. I don't see any markings on the tang, or the receiver at all for that matter apart from the British proof mark and two numbers. I did find a mark on the bottom metal that is FDI followed by a stamp that is a B, a heart shaped symbol of some sort, and an S in a circle. Quick google didn't turn up anything for that.

There's nothing wrong with a good 98 type Mauser action if its FN it will have the Belgium crown and proof marks unless polished off some of the Santa Barbara action where less desirable I'm not sure why but my dad was a custom gun builder and shyed away from them check for set back on the locking lugs and if none it's probably ok there then check for how smooth it cycles Douglas will also barrel it and square the receiver ring if you do a 284 you may need too open the rails a bit no big deal but it will feed better if done right get a Boyd's laminate glass it float the barrel you can build a nice shooter barrel job and stock for under a grand
Is there anyway to check for set back without having the barrel off? Bolt does kinda snag or stick right has the head gets to the rear of the front ring of the action, and if I don't press sideways on the handle (basically trying to continue the opening rotation) it doesn't like to slide back out past a 1/4 inch, but the actual locking of the bolt is smooth and so is everything past that point backing it out. I figure its just a bit finnicky.

I'd check the twist on it first. A 308 Win is a good hunting round. If it's 1-10 you could shoot heavies and seat out long with the right throat.
I tried to check it and got 1-8, which seems way too fast. Either way 308 doesn't really interest me. Opening it up to a magmum bolt face would be interesting, but I'm not sure I trust the action (given that i dont know where it was made) enough for that.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Attachments

• IMG_20210924_160917919.jpg
    IMG_20210924_160917919.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 128
7mm-08 probably doesn't require any conversation to function fine.
+1 on Boyd's stocks if this is a budget build.
I can't speak for for the action but unless there are numerous reous reports of complete failure then it will probably last the distance. Many here with far more experience but a gunsmith will tell you they are willing to rebarrell it.

I tried to check it and got 1-8, which seems way too fast. Either way 308 doesn't really interest me. Opening it up to a magmum bolt face would be interesting, but I'm not sure I trust the action (given that i dont know where it was made) enough for that.
I got curious and a search showed a Snipershide thread where one claims was SB action are forged, not investment cast. As the story goes PO Ackley built some rifles off those actions. Hopefully that will give you some leads on the action.

The barreled action needs to be in the hands of a gunsmith that knows Mausers so it can be determined what cartridge up-grades may be possible. Be aware, Mausers are not a drop-in when it comes to changing chamberings. If you go with the .284, be aware that it will not drop-in and feed without alterations. Also, the mag box was not designed for the 'newer, fatter' cartridges, and mag capacity will be reduced . It is best to remove the barrel to determine the condition of the locking lug abutments for any set-back.

Shroud and bolt scream Santa Barbara. Bottom metal looks like a cheap aftermarket. The SB bottom metal is an excellent piece with a slightly longer front tang and bow release.

How about a .280 Rem or 7x57? Make sure the mag is at least 3.350" and not blocked off for the .308.

And yes, find a Mauser 'smith.

A B&C stock would work just fine. They run about 2.25lbs.

P.S. 6.5x55!

Last edited:
I've built many on Mauser actions:
22-250 p-dog gun
243 p-dog
308 p-dog
25-06 p-dog
7mm-08 F-class
Doing another right now in a 338-06, Pac Nor barrel with barrel nut.

I've built many on Mauser actions:
22-250 p-dog gun
243 p-dog
308 p-dog
25-06 p-dog
7mm-08 F-class
Doing another right now in a 338-06, Pac Nor barrel with barrel nut.
Nice! I've used Mark Xs, Santa Barbaras, 1908 & 1909 Argentines as well as 1910 & 1936 Mexicans. All made fine rifles.

Jim Kobe in Minnesota does excellent Mauser work. I used to use Harry McGowen until his passing.

Jim's email is (or was) Jkob60msn.com.

Last edited: