Almost done!

Nice looking rifle you got there.

I don't know if SSS still has the DIY bolt handles or not. You might try giving them a call. They were $20.

Nice looking rifle you got there.

I don't know if SSS still has the DIY bolt handles or not. You might try giving them a call. They were $20.

He never answers the phone when I was trying to get a stock and other components, so I don't bother with him anymore. I ended up ordering a lift kit and and bolt handle from Stockade stocks. I like the Mr.Rayhill. He is very informative and helpful.

Tank

Nice rifle! A friend shoots the 208 AMAXs over R17 well with 12 twist. Last time out was .662 MOA at 750yds in wind with 10mph gusts from 0900. Not as good as the .2 MOA at 220yds he's posted, but he'll take it for what it is. :D I dare say you'll be happy.

Nice rifle! A friend shoots the 208 AMAXs over R17 well with 12 twist. Last time out was .662 MOA at 750yds in wind with 10mph gusts from 0900. Not as good as the .2 MOA at 220yds he's posted, but he'll take it for what it is. :D I dare say you'll be happy.

You have any idea what his load data is? fps, load weight, length of barrel?

You have any idea what his load data is? fps, load weight, length of barrel?
Yes sir, the gun is a .308 Win Remington m700 VSF or VFS or however it goes, in left hand and is basically all stock. He had a bolt knob put on but that's it. It has a 26" fluted barrel.

The load is 3.050" COAL so he can't mag feed, but we may shorten it up and see how the gun likes it next. Originally, we thought the powder charge was going to be 48.4g but we're not so sure now.

This last time we went out he actually shot two 5-shot groups at 750yds and the .662 MOA group was slightly bigger than the other. The first group was with 48.4g and the slightly bigger group was shot with 49g. But, I think it was the wind that opened it up. There was one shot where I was just about to say "wind" when he sent it and I think that was the culprit. I'm not sure his velocity at this point as everytime I'm finished shooting '06 rounds there's not enough light to chrono him. We'll get him done first next time though.

Most people find their nodes at or around 48.4g with this load and are seeing pressure at 49 but we are not. This 308 likes the r17, but my '06 hates it!:D

Yes sir, the gun is a .308 Win Remington m700 VSF or VFS or however it goes, in left hand and is basically all stock. He had a bolt knob put on but that's it. It has a 26" fluted barrel.

The load is 3.050" COAL so he can't mag feed, but we may shorten it up and see how the gun likes it next. Originally, we thought the powder charge was going to be 48.4g but we're not so sure now.

This last time we went out he actually shot two 5-shot groups at 750yds and the .662 MOA group was slightly bigger than the other. The first group was with 48.4g and the slightly bigger group was shot with 49g. But, I think it was the wind that opened it up. There was one shot where I was just about to say "wind" when he sent it and I think that was the culprit. I'm not sure his velocity at this point as everytime I'm finished shooting '06 rounds there's not enough light to chrono him. We'll get him done first next time though.

Most people find their nodes at or around 48.4g with this load and are seeing pressure at 49 but we are not. This 308 likes the r17, but my '06 hates it!:D

Is he using a mag primer, or just a large rifle? I have 210m's, 215's, and wolf LR.

Thanks for the help,
Tank

Jonathan's using Winchester large rifle primers. He said he would use CCI200s if there were any locally.

Alright, thank you for the research. I was planning on it, but I have played with the 215's. Right now I'm trying to get some 178 BTHP to fly straight. Going through a gambit of powders and picking my poison.

Tank

Nice rifle, I have really started looking at the savage rifles, that may be my next project. Question, how difficult was it screw your new barrel on and get the headspace right? Thats what is appealing to me, that you can install your own custom barrel. Anyway, great job and great rifle. Keep us informed on how it shoots. I just sent my long range rig to have some work done to it, so I am ready to get it back and do some shooting.

Alright, thank you for the research. I was planning on it, but I have played with the 215's. Right now I'm trying to get some 178 BTHP to fly straight. Going through a gambit of powders and picking my poison.

Tank
yeah, no problem. I'd like to contribute any way I can. I love this site and you guys that have posted a bunch have helped me out a bunch in the past. Say, is your action painted in the pictures?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.