Alliant powder

coop2564

I have two local sources for gun powder. Both are telling me they haven't received a new shipment of alliant powder in right at one year. Anyone got any within that time?

About a year and a half ago I phoned my local SW and they had 2 8lbers of RL26. I almost bought one but thought if they have 8lbers, maybe the shortage is over and since I only need a pound or 2 I'll wait until they get those in. Could have bought one, sold whatever I didn't want and be shooting free powder now.
Been kickin myself in the *** ever since.

Yes, all the powders have been short, but Alliant has maybe been the worst or one of the worst. With the dump lately at Powder Valley and what I have seen at Natchez, a little here and a little there, it seems it has finally made a re-appearance, but I have seen a lot more of the Accurate, Ramshot, IMR, Hogdon, and Vihtavuori, and Shooter's world than Alliant. One that has absoultely disappeared and I have seen none of is Norma. Also, Noble. So, Alliant which I believe is made in Switzerland, Sweden, and St. Marks, all offshore. has been pretty absent until maybe the last several months, but has reappeared here and there sporadically. I'm not sure if the relative scarcity is due to import issues, or priority to military contracts, or that its getting sent to other countries for some reason vs. the U.S. I was able to buy some RL26 this last week off Powder Valley, and I traded some Varget for some RL26, but its pretty, much hit and miss trying to get the reloader powders in this environment, so I am using more N565 N570, ACC Magpro, and some Retumbo (which also scarce as it is made in Australia for Hodgdon's). But even Retumbo is more available I think than RL26 and the Alliant powders. Maybe folks at different locales in different parts of the country are having different experience, but that is what I see online, and no stores around here have anything on the shelf.

Yes, all the powders have been short, but Alliant has maybe been the worst or one of the worst. With the dump lately at Powder Valley and what I have seen at Natchez, a little here and a little there, it seems it has finally made a re-appearance, but I have seen a lot more of the Accurate, Ramshot, IMR, Hogdon, and Vihtavuori, and Shooter's world than Alliant. One that has absoultely disappeared and I have seen none of is Norma. Also, Noble. So, Alliant which I believe is made in Switzerland, Sweden, and St. Marks, all offshore. has been pretty absent until maybe the last several months, but has reappeared here and there sporadically. I'm not sure if the relative scarcity is due to import issues, or priority to military contracts, or that its getting sent to other countries for some reason vs. the U.S. I was able to buy some RL26 this last week off Powder Valley, and I traded some Varget for some RL26, but its pretty, much hit and miss trying to get the reloader powders in this environment, so I am using more N565 N570, ACC Magpro, and some Retumbo (which also scarce as it is made in Australia for Hodgdon's). But even Retumbo is more available I think than RL26 and the Alliant powders. Maybe folks at different locales in different parts of the country are having different experience, but that is what I see online, and no stores around here have anything on the shelf.
On RL-26 due to its popularity in use with several calibers is the main reason it's hard to find I believe. Before this shortage started RL-26 was hard to come by. I put in large bulk orders at 3 stores way before the shortage and waited weeks to months to receive all my orders. If I didn't have H1000 that I need to use I would use only 26 for my 6.5 PRC & 300 WM. With 26" barrels I get ~ 125 fps more than I do with the other powders I tried. I haven't tried a lot of the VV powders.

If you guys are halfway serious about finding powder, the least you can do is get on Discord and set up notices. Relying on companies to email you in-stock notifications is not going to work for your benefit.
I think my halfway serious process seems to be working very good.

image.jpg