Allen Precision Shooting, reintroduction... the mighty Raptor LRSS

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
I used to be a solid fixture here on Longrangehunting.com. In fact my business grew up right along side Lens web site. That was around 17 years ago. Members of LRH were sitting front row with every rifle and wildcat development that happened in my shop. Then honestly, things got out of hand with work load, i no longer had the time to regularly post on LRH but occasionally would list rifles for sale and answer a few questions here and there.

I have decided that with the huge number of new members to LRH, it is time i reintroduce myself and my products as there may be many out there that know little about me and my business.

If you want to learn more on me, you can go to www.apsrifles.com home page and read my intro.

today i wanted to talk about my APS flagship rifle. The one thats been around now for over 15 years, over a decade in its current and in my opinion perfected state, the APS Raptor LRSS. LRSS standing for Long Range Shooting System.

50C61B5E-E8CC-45ED-AA21-E24E9C6DBEA6.jpeg

The Raptor LRSS is based on my Raptor receiver. Made for me by Defiance Machine to my unique specs. Those unique specs are most obvious in the extra length of the receiver which allows for a very long barrel thread tenon as well as housing the extremely strong Raptor bolt head design. Also, this design allows for extra steel to be used to support the bottom bolt lug which is the weak point in any repeating dual lug receiver design.

The Raptor receiver is available in right and left hand, single shot and repeater and in any popular bolt face size up to the Lapua class. It has an extra long ejection port length and triple pinned canted full length, all steel rail base. One piece massive bolt. Its truly over engineered for anything that would ever be housed in it, BY DESIGN.

11ADD571-C7C8-4982-B330-40C101B0CC9B.jpeg

A3B0DC86-6889-434B-AB75-0B56A7B3D472.jpeg

The Raptor receiver is truly the heart of this amazing rifle system.

the next obvious feature of the Raptor LRSS rifle design is its unique barrel contour. It has a rather long 8" shank that is a full 1.350" diameter. Then tapers down to a contour similar to a sendero contour with a 0.835"-0.850" muzzle diameter depending on finish length desired. Most striking is the dual flute pattern on the Raptor LRSS barrel.

there is a very specific reason for this unique barrel contour. When i started out designing this rifle platform, even before the Raptor receiver was available I tested different barrel contours to try to find the best weight to stiffness ratio for a 30" barrel, which would become standard on my Raptor LRSS rifles.

D603B063-6A02-4B93-A858-83C2F09530CC.jpeg

The long, large diameter shank offered maximus support to the chamber. It was also determined that nearly all of the barrel whip issues were generated by barrels that could not support the extreme torque levels produces when driving long, heavy bullets to high velocities in faster twist barrels. As such, i decided to test a straight taper heavy barrel design. It was plenty stiff and rigid but far to heavy. I then tested the current design and found that barrel stiffness and rigidity were fully equal to a 1.250" straight cylinder barrel, yet my design was noticeably lighter.

adding the very unique dual barrel flute pattern not only added to the unique appearance of the Raptor LRSS rifles, but it also shifted the center of balance on these rifles back toward the receiver, as did the heavy shank design. This makes the Raptor LRSS extremely SOLID feeling when firing. Often this is a problem with rifles that have 30" barrel length. Even 34" barreled Raptor LRSS rifles feel very solid on the bench or in the field.

E39A491B-EC04-4473-9D59-1754DC59C191.jpeg

the standard stock for the Raptor LRSS is the McMillan A5 tactical stock with adjustable Cheek Piece, 1" decelerator recoil pad, LOP of customers choice, two standard uncle mike swivel studs on fore end and one on toe (fore end rail also a popular option). Color finish of customers choice. All Raptor LRSS rifles are aluminum pillar bedded with fully floated barrels.

other standard features of the Raptor LRSS rifles are my Medium Painkiller muzzle brake which does an extremely good job at controlling any recoil management issues as well as totally eliminating any muzzle jump. Firing from a solid shooting position its EASY to spot your own impacts at any range past 200 yards. And you can shoot any of the Raptor LRSS rifles all day with zero shooter fatigue.

Jewell triggers are standard features, set at 1 lb. but available from 1-4 lb settings.

as mentioned the Raptor LRSS can be had in single shot or repeater. For repeating versions, the standard options are either the Accurate Magazine 5 round DSSF system or the Sunny Hill hinged floorplate, internal mag system for the lapua/rigby class cartridges.

bead blast matte finish on metal surfaces is standard with cerakote color finishes an extra cost option as well.

the Raptor LRSS rifles are designed specifically to shoot head to head with rifles in the 25-30 lb class while having a bare rifle weight of 13-14 lbs max. They do this extremely well. I have tested many of my Raptors out to 2500 yards with amazing results and hitting sub 1/2 moa sized targets at a legit 1000 yards is for lack of a better term, EASY......

The Raptor LRSS can be chambered in a wide variety of commercial chamberings as well as all of my own wildcat designs. It is best chambered in larger magnums however i have built many varmint class Raptor LRSS single shot rifles in smaller calibers that performed EXTREMELY well.

It is however designed specifically for use with my wildcats:
25 Stalker
26 Stalker
27 Stalker
7mm Allen Magnum
300 Allen Xpress
338 Allen Xpress
375 Allen Xpress
300 Raptor
338 Raptor
375 Raptor (coming soon)

for a dedicated long range big game rifle, the Raptor LRSS has few peers in its weight class. Designed specifically for the 600 yard and beyond use, its not designed to be packed all day in the mountains, its designed to allow you a range radius that is truly amazing for this weight class rifle and it does this extremely well.

extreme accuracy, extreme comfort, extreme power. If your interested in putting a Raptor LRSS in your safe, shoot me an email at [email protected] and we can talk over a project.

next up in will reintroduce my Stalker line of rifles, the little brothers to the Raptor LRSS but still with a lot of bite!! Just more packable and far more flexible for a variety of uses.

Hi Fiftydriver.

Really great to see you are back.

I have been a site member since 2007 and remember your early days well.

Looking forward to reading about the 'Stalker' rifles, particulary the .25. I love the quarter bores.

A shame your website does not allow UK access.

Welcome.... back I guess? You make some nice rifles Kirby! This 28" .308 proof sendero I have sitting here needs a nasty long range cartridge... guess I have to look into the 300 raptor now!

Hi Fiftydriver.

Really great to see you are back.

I have been a site member since 2007 and remember your early days well.

Looking forward to reading about the 'Stalker' rifles, particulary the .25. I love the quarter bores.

A shame your website does not allow UK access.
I was not aware there were any limitations at all viewing my web site.... is this on your end?

I also learned of Kirby and his creations on LRH many years ago (2009 I believe). After many years of reading about his rifles and hoping to one day own the 7mm Allen Mag, I now do! Also, along with 3 others (26 Stalker, 6.5-06, and a 6mm-284 in the LRSS). These rifles have attracted so much attention at the range and in hunts. I can't say enough for Kirby's quality and attention to detail. Thank you for your products and support Kirby!

Jeff

not sure why it would be blocked. there are some harvested critters on there, not sure if that would trip any limits or if its just a gun thing?? Never had anyone say they could not gain access to the site.... sorry for that.

Good to see ya doin this!

I gave my 375 Allen Magnum and "all" the stuff that goes with to my brand new grandson-in-law. He's quite the hunter. He bagged this once-in-a-lifetime Utah Mtn Goat this year.

I've been thinking of what to do with my "Big Girl" and... Due to covid I got to conduct the marriage between he and my most favorite grand daughter. Then bang, right at the moment that I was supposed to be saying the big big words, there was a long pause. That was when I "knew" what I was going to do with retirement present to myself.

A couple fo days later I packed the Big Girl and all the stuff in a car and it was delivered and set up in his front yard with a big bow around it.

So another generation gets intro'd to APS Rifles.

Keep'r going Kirby. You do greater that great work.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts