• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Allen Precision Heavy Tactical 338 AX for sale....

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
I have finally got around to posting this rifle for sale. Many of you may recognize it from a post I made several months ago about this rifle and a new hybrid throat design I had designed and tested for the first time in this rifle. The tests went very well and after 600 rounds down the bore, the throat looks nearly identical as a conventional throat with the same number of rounds down the barrel, so I am satisfied that throat life will be on par with a conventional throat. Only it allows around 125 fps more velocity for same length barrels compared to same load in conventional throated rifles.

Because of the testing done with this rifle including load development, ballistic and throat life testing, I decided it would not be right to sell the rifle as is with this many rounds down the bore, so I rebarreled with a new Lilja #8 contour barrel with 8, 1/4" flutes instead of the standard 6 flute barrels. Looks very nice. The rifle currently has been treated with "Gun Juice" and has 25 rounds down the barrel. The rifle shot three consectutive three shot groups at 100 yards that were all in the .3's ctc. These were with the 300 gr SMK loaded to roughly 2900 fps, out of a 26" barrel!!!

ImportedPhotos00007-4.jpg

ImportedPhotos00003-4.jpg

With the accuracy proven done, the rifle is ready for sale. Here are the specs:

Surgeon XL repeating receiver, teflon coated black
Receiver comes with an integral rail base and recoil lug
Surgeon Detachable Magazine system
Jewell Trigger set at 20 oz
Lilja Stainless 1-10, #8 contour, 8 flute barrel
338 Allen Xpress chambering with APS Hybrid throat
APS Painkiller Medium 3 port muzzle brake
Satin finish on barrel/brake
Manner MCS-T4A tactical stock with decelerator pad, Adj CP and flush cup swivel mounts
APS custom pillar bedding
338 Allen Xpress Custom loading die set
Load data for test loads will be freely offered with rifle

I would normally charge $5000 for this rifle+shipping not including loading dies.

I am asking $4800 for this rifle including shipping AND the custom loading die set.

First come first serve. There are some minor spots inside the bolt way where the teflon coating has worn off but externally its new condition. THis is about as much precision power as you can get in a rifle that is this compact. Really no longer then a convention Rem 700 Magnum rifle, very handly, very easy to shoot with recoil similiar to a 270 Win Sporter rifle and very compact. AND ALOT OF POWER!!! There is also an option to get the entire rifle teflon coated but that will add $200 to the total.

$4800 including shipping and dies as is

$5000 with same package but complete barreled receiver teflon coating.

Ships to first one that gets me payment and FFL to ship to. This rifle would take a minimun of 16 months to get made but since its one of my test rifles, its ready to ship as soon as payment arrives.

Rifle does not come with bipod or scope but we could include them in the package if someone wanted them included. Will discuss price on that option if wanted.

Formed brass is available on order for this rifle or its a simple matter to load standard 338 Lapua loads and fireform the brass yourself.

Another One!!

Good luck Fifty I hope they sell fast for you. We will be taking soon Sir!!

Oso

ITs a great receiver but it does have a few issues. First its BIG so the rifles are heavy but that is not a bad thing in a long range rifle.

Second, the DM system limits overall length at 3.600". This is one reason I decided to use my hybrid throat design to compensate for this sort OAL and some case capacity loss. In the end, the short OAL did not effect velocity much at all as its producing nearly 2900 fps in a 26" barrel, even with the very short 3.600" OAL ammo with the 300 gr SMK.

Last thing I would change, its made of Chrome Moly, I would prefer to see a stainless option but this is not a huge deal with all the coatings available to us these days.

ITs smooth, strong and VERY rigid with a HUGE flat bedding surface. As far as a stout platform to build a rifle off from, it really does not get my better then this but you do have to deal with these minor issues which are really not a problem.

Re: Allen Precision Heavy Tactical 338 AX for sale....PRICE REDUCED

Will drop $400 off the price of the rifle.

$4400 as is, $4600 complete teflon coating.

I am right there with you on that one, Quigley. I almost jumped at that rifle. What a beautiful piece.

Kirby, if its not a trade secret, could you explain what you did to the throat to get an extra 125fps out of it........you've got my curiosity up. The only thing I can come up with is you gave it alot of freebore and somehow I can't see you going this route, been done before (Weatherby), and anyway you said it was 'a new design' that you were working on in your original post.

Care to share? :^)

Just don't get too technical or alot of us won't be able to understand.

Well, The freebore throat is about as good as it gets for increasing velocity potential of a round because it flattens out the pressure spike allowing more powder to be used in the same chambering with same bullet weight.

It however is not the best for accuracy and it can be very hard on thin jacketed bullets when driven to high velocity in faster twist barrels.

A short throat chamber is great for accuracy but tends to take up alot of case capacity in some instances.

My idea was to combine the two of these designs.

Basically, there are three sections to my throat design, first is a conventional throat design of conventional length or set up appropriate for whatever mag box length your using in your rifle.

Second section is a cylinder shape cut that is slightly smaller then groove diameter leaving a shallow groove, the length of which I will keep to myself.

The third section is a type of leade angle from the shallow groove section to the full height land. Again, conventional angle would be around 1-10-00 to 1-30-00. This section in my rifle is a much shallower angle. Again, I will keep the specifics to myself.

Where a conventional throat will generally be 0.050" to around 0.200" in length, my design can be dramatically longer then this but loading for this chamber is no different then a standard throat length.

The benefits:

- You can seat the bullet ogive to the land with conventional OAL.
- Very low pressure needed to engrave the bullet jacket.
- The bullet begins to rotate as soon as it starts linear motion down the barrel which is critical for getting a long VLD bullet to survive a high velocity launch in a medium to fast twist barrel.
- Velocity potential on par with freebore throat but much better accuracy and consistancy.

Downside:

- Is a bit more difficult to find that "Kiss the lands" position but once you get the hang of it its no different, just a bit more suttle.
- In some way, the throat life has to be a bit shorter then a conventional throat, just less steel there so it is logical that there would be a decrease in throat life. That said, it does not seem to be dramatically less.
- Not really a down side but conventional powders will tend to be a bit slow for a given chambering then we are used to, or using a ball powder instead of a stick powder may be needed to get more powder under the bullet.

For example, my 338 AX with conventional throat prefers around 100-102 grains retumbo. With the hybrid throat, I could get 105 grains of retumbo in the case but no more and velocity was just slightly less then the 100 gr load but pressure was MUCH less.

I was able to switch to Ramshot Magnum and get 105-106 grains under the same 300 gr SMK. This powder is very similiar to Retumbo in burn rate but being a ball powder you can get more powder in the same case volume.

If a stick powder was wanted to be used, H-1000 would be my first choice but even H-4831 would be very usible with this throat design.

Thats about it.

Kirby, I sure appreciate you writing out that description, unfortunately you lost me in section two of that throat. :^(

Hopefully one of these days I'll get a chance to meet you. I'll bring along a piece of paper, you can draw me up a picture, and then maybe I'll be able to wrap my mind around that throat you've designed. Until then, good luck with it and again I thank you for writing up the description - I'll read it another 4 or 5 times and maybe it'll sink in a little better.

I did get all the pro's and con's, just can't picture in my mind what the throat would look like.