Allen Magnum Brass worries.....

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
I am sure most of you are aware that Jamison International has closed its doors rather unexpectedly. In fact so unexpectedly that I was not able to get my headstamp tooling from them before they disappeared, still working on that.

Anyway, with them going out of business, my 338 and 375 Allen Magnum brass is no longer available from them. I instantly started working on a new source for brass for my wildcats and my customers.

I am happy to say that I am working with Bruce Bertram and in the process of investigating the possibility of having him make custom brass for me. I have gotten some of his sample 408 CT brass and have been extremely impressed with it. In fact, it appears to be significantly stronger then the Jamison brass we have been using.

Another plus is that it also seems to be much more consistant in case weight and volume as well.

So for the time being, if we have to use the standard 408 CT brass for the 375 ALLEN MAGNUM and their 375 CT for the 338 ALLEN MAGNUM, we are still in business so do not let this brass issue worry you at all. We are still in business and in all honesty, this brass looks like it will allow us even more performance out of the ALLEN MAGNUMS based off the 408 CT.

As mentioned, I am working with Bertram as we speak to get correct headstamped brass for the 338 and 375 AMs and also working with him to see if it will be possible and practical to have them build me correct headstamped brass for my brand new 300 and 338 Raptor wildcat which are based on a highly modified 338 Excalibur parent case, formerly made by Jamison as well......

Just wanted to get everyone an update, while this Jamison issue gave me a scare, in the end, it looks like it may actually be a blessing and we may possibly get brass that will let the 338 and 375 ALLEN MAGNUMs reach their full potential. It appears that this Bertram brass will allow us to work in the 70,000 psi range. That is a significant step up from the Jamison brass which would loosen primer pockets at around an estimated 62,000-63,000 psi.

The good old days of using the TTI 408 brass in the 338 AM to get near 3500 fps with the 300 gr SMK may be on the horizon again!!!!! Combine that with the new Berger Gen 2 Hybrid 300 gr and we may be getting a significant performance boost.

I'm sure you are more in contact than I will ever be with Jamison. I did read on their website that they hope to open under a new name in the future.

Well Kirby you have finally found out about what we have known down here for a while that bertram 408 CT brass is the best out there. The old bertram like the old jamison was really soft and everyone gave up on it but the new 408 CT bertram brass is so strong that it beats the now not available 408 CT jamison brass. One thing that you have to be aware of is the bertram 408 CT brass is just a little smaller at the base so we use a smaller base reamer than the jamison 408 CT brass, also the bertram necks are alot thinner .0115 a side than jamison necks that run about .014 a side. Another thing to be aware of a .408-.410 chamber neck that works well with jamison thicker necks will be a bit sloppy with the thinner bertram necks.

FYI-I was visiting with Chuck from Mac's Gunworks yesterday and he told me he had a fairly good stock of Jamison CT brass.

Another plus is that it also seems to be much more consistant in case weight and volume as well.

Just wanted to get everyone an update, while this Jamison issue gave me a scare, in the end, it looks like it may actually be a blessing and we may possibly get brass that will let the 338 and 375 ALLEN MAGNUMs reach their full potential. It appears that this Bertram brass will allow us to work in the 70,000 psi range. That is a significant step up from the Jamison brass which would loosen primer pockets at around an estimated 62,000-63,000 psi.

The good old days of using the TTI 408 brass in the 338 AM to get near 3500 fps with the 300 gr SMK may be on the horizon again!!!!! Combine that with the new Berger Gen 2 Hybrid 300 gr and we may be getting a significant performance boost.

Almost one year has passed... Do you have any updates on the promising quality of the Bertram brass?

I have been in communication with the new owners of Jamison International. They are back up and running and they informed me that they would be able to make the same brass for me as the original Jamison International company did so the 338 Allen Magnum and 375 Allen Magnum brass will continue to be available with correct headstamps.

Also the 338 Allen Xpress brass will be available as well.

That said, I have tested the Bertram brass in 408 Chey Tac for my 375 Allen Magnum and their 375 Chey Tac for use with my 338 Allen Magnum and both work extremely well so that is just another option we have to keep these potent magnums up and running.

No worries on brass. Right now the main concern is brass for my new Raptor wildcats which are soon to be released. Bertram is making the initial run and I hope to have paid for and in shop soon so I can start taking pre orders for those wildcats.

No fears for Allen Magnum brass!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.