All shots landing left

WannaBuild

Hello everyone,

So I finally got my 6.5x284 Norma built!!! I broke the barrel in and now shot my first 100yd ladder test with two powders, 4831sc And H1000 with the 140grn VLD. Seems like the H1000 performed better than the 4831 in my rifle. The only problem is all of my shots with BOTH powders landed left? I'm pretty sure my body position or something I'm doing is the problem, has anyone had a problem like this and know how did you break it? I used HSM's ammo to break in my barrel and shot a three shot group that I could cover with a dime so I know the gun was sighted in before the hand loads. Any ideas would greatly be appreciated. I was shooting prone from my Harris bipod and rear bag.

Hello everyone,

So I finally got my 6.5x284 Norma built!!! I broke the barrel in and now shot my first 100yd ladder test with two powders, 4831sc And H1000 with the 140grn VLD. Seems like the H1000 performed better than the 4831 in my rifle. The only problem is all of my shots with BOTH powders landed left? I'm pretty sure my body position or something I'm doing is the problem, has anyone had a problem like this and know how did you break it? I used HSM's ammo to break in my barrel and shot a three shot group that I could cover with a dime so I know the gun was sighted in before the hand loads. Any ideas would greatly be appreciated. I was shooting prone from my Harris bipod and rear bag.

Are you expecting the HSM ammo you used for your barrel break-in and your handloads to have the same POI? Sometimes you get lucky but most often the POI will be different. Unless you are going to use the HSM ammo, you need to make adjustments on your handloads, ensure all of the components are properly torqued, and proper employment of your shooting fundamentals. Good luck!

Yep, what he said. The different loads will most likely hit at different POI. Here's the proof: notice that you're doing a ladder test and they don't all group together, even though you are only changing the powder charge and/or the bullet seating depth?
Change anything on your end and expect a change on the other.
Also, don't worry about POI during load development...unless you are missing paper!:D

Not trying to be rude Peddler but I don't know if I'd go there with it. At $70 a box it's hard to swallow for most if you shoot any volume. If the HSM is the same bullet you want with same performance, maybe dissect one and try to duplicate the load.
If nothing else at least you know you have a good go-to should it be needed.

Not trying to be rude Peddler but I don't know if I'd go there with it. At $70 a box it's hard to swallow for most if you shoot any volume. If the HSM is the same bullet you want with same performance, maybe dissect one and try to duplicate the load.
If nothing else at least you know you have a good go-to should it be needed.

Understood, just saying a dime is nice.

If I had to pay 70 per 20 rnds I wouldn't shoot more then a box or two a year. I hate buying factory ammo period. Most of the time in my rifles it never performed worth a darn anyways. If I found a factory load that shot dimes I'd be tempted to stay with it if it were a hunting rifle but then again I know myself and I'd want to tinker with it.

Hello everyone,

Your point of aim is going to move 99.9% of the time when you change loads.

Re zero and see how you are doing.

What everyone else said...it's very unlikely two different loads will have the exact same POI, possible = YES, likely = NO especially going from "factory" loads to hand loads.

Hey guys, thank you for all of your insight! This is my first custom rifle I have ever had. I realize now that I screwed up my ladder test and should have shot it at 300yds... Rookie mistake! I have found 54.9 gr H1000 shot 1/2 MOA at 1,3,6 hundred yds. My rifle probably can do better but I personally shot like crap that day but it did shoot great otherwise. I have not ran any rounds though a chronograph to see my velocity yet. Has anyone used H1000 in their 6.5x284 Norma? If so, what velocity have you seen?

If its shooting like you say dont worry about how fast it's going or if somebody has used H1000 in a 6.5x284 Just shoot it and enjoy.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.