All Around Mountain Rifle Build

Blueman

Ok gents, here's the scoop. My brother and I are wanting to build some light weight mountain rifles. I have a 10.5 lb STW for when the terriain is more favorable. I hunt in some nasty steep terrain. I cannot afford titanium actions, so don't go there. I've got a tikka in 300 win mag that I want to re-barrel with a proof sendero light, and possible do some work on the bolt to lighten it up. I'm planning on using a MPI lightweight stock (or similar), and optics no heavier than 20 oz. The build will mostly be for elk and mule deer, sheep if I draw before I die. My questions is, what caliber should I go with? And how long of a barrel? I'm thinking 22"?
Some of the calibers I've been thinking of are:
270 WSM 1:8 for the 170 Berger, 165 matrix, or 150 LRAB (I like that it can go heavy, but no crazy recoil)
7 SAUM/7 WSM 1:8/9 for any 160-180 gn bullets, there are lots to choose from. (this is harder to buy in stores if I'm in a pinch and need ammo.)
300 WSM 1:10 for anything in the 180-210 gn range. (My concern with the 30 cal is the recoil)
6.5 cals seem a little small for elk imho, especially when shooting out to 6-700 yds.

I do plan to put a titanium break on to reduce recoil. I'm pretty set on these few choices, just want some opinions. I'm proficient at reloading so that's what I plan on doing. Also don't try to convince me of SS Mag, they are interesting, but I want something with no fire forming.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I've heard good things about 270 wsm and find it interesting. I personally am going 300 wsm. Muzzle brake should be able to handle the recoil fine.

That's mostly for practice anyway, I never feel it when I'm in the moment :)

7wsm brass is harder to find than 300wsm, and loaded ammo is quite a bit more, id opt for the 300 from the ones you listed ....you also have a wider range of bullet weights to pick from in the 30 cal option.

Last edited:
I've got a 7wsm thats shoots really well...but 24" barrel....
doubt 2" will make a huge difference on weight...just have to find a comfortable way to pack it or wear it when hiking up the hill...

I have a Winchester extreme in the 300wsm . The recoil isn't bad at all The rifle itself before scope and accessories is at 7 lbs

Ok gents, here's the scoop. My brother and I are wanting to build some light weight mountain rifles. I have a 10.5 lb STW for when the terriain is more favorable. I hunt in some nasty steep terrain. I cannot afford titanium actions, so don't go there. I've got a tikka in 300 win mag that I want to re-barrel with a proof sendero light, and possible do some work on the bolt to lighten it up. I'm planning on using a MPI lightweight stock (or similar), and optics no heavier than 20 oz. The build will mostly be for elk and mule deer, sheep if I draw before I die. My questions is, what caliber should I go with? And how long of a barrel? I'm thinking 22"?
Some of the calibers I've been thinking of are:
270 WSM 1:8 for the 170 Berger, 165 matrix, or 150 LRAB (I like that it can go heavy, but no crazy recoil)
7 SAUM/7 WSM 1:8/9 for any 160-180 gn bullets, there are lots to choose from. (this is harder to buy in stores if I'm in a pinch and need ammo.)
300 WSM 1:10 for anything in the 180-210 gn range. (My concern with the 30 cal is the recoil)
6.5 cals seem a little small for elk imho, especially when shooting out to 6-700 yds.

I do plan to put a titanium break on to reduce recoil. I'm pretty set on these few choices, just want some opinions. I'm proficient at reloading so that's what I plan on doing. Also don't try to convince me of SS Mag, they are interesting, but I want something with no fire forming.

Thanks in advance

I'd also go 300 WSM (the 270 WSM would also be a good option) as factory ammo is readily available and imo it's an awesome cartridge. I don't think recoil will be unmanageable since your going to brake it. I've shot my buddies lightweight braked 300 WM (about 7.5 lbs) with a 22" barrel and found the recoil easily managed. What is consider manageable recoil certainly a matter of personal preference though.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.